Quick query re Partitioning

Demora 11:43 12 Jun 2007

Which to do first....Load win xp pro or partition hdd with a programme like Acronis disk Director?

TIA

D

tobyb121 11:57 12 Jun 2007

You can do it either way with xp i believe, I am supposing that you are starting with a blank hard drive, but you would probably be better to partition first so that if it goes wrong you don't have to completely reinstall xp. I am not familiar with Acronis, is it a live cd or do you install it like partition magic? I am more familiar with Gparted, which I think is great.

^wave^ 11:59 12 Jun 2007

what are trying to do. if you have a hard drive you can partion it into other drives ie one hdd 300gig partion it in too 2hdd 150gig each you dont have to load a anything into it. but one way would be to have your os in one partion and your progs in the other or even haveanother with just data in it

Demora 12:08 12 Jun 2007

It will be a totally blank hard drive in 10 minutes time.

I've never partitioned this or any drive before its something I thought I'd do to save me time in re installing and getting thing up and running easier.

D

tobyb121 20:08 12 Jun 2007

In that case you should partition first, then install. I would recommend Gparted, wich is a linux based live cd/usb. You can download it from click here for usb version or click here for cd version. then just put it on the usb/ burn to a disk, put it in, reboot, and then its prety easy to use. just make sure that when you resize your partition that you create a new partition in the emty space, or it will not be usable. Format them to either ntfs of fat32, and then reboot, put in your xp cd and install.
hope this helps tobyb

tobyb121 20:12 12 Jun 2007

Instructions on how to make a live usb of gparted can be found
click here
and instructions for a live cd can be found
click here
tobyb

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?