Quick Launch Toolbar Moved

FelixTCat 21:56 07 Mar 2005

I have been helping a friend set up a Win 98SE computer. It runs perfectly well. She regularly, accidentally, moves the taskbar from the bottom of the screen to the sides and top and we bring it back again.

More recently, the Quick Launch Toolbar has moved from the left, by the Start button, to the right, beside the System Tray. I can't find any way to move it back again.

Can anybody help, please?

gudgulf 22:07 07 Mar 2005

Rt click the taskbar and make sure lock the taskbar is not ticked.Then click on the top edge of the taskbar and make it broader which will give you the room to rearrange the icons to your hearts content.When you have them where you want them bring the taskbar back down to its normal height and tick lock the taskbar to stop things from moving around again.

FelixTCat 23:27 07 Mar 2005

Thanks, gudgulf, but it isn't individual icons; it is the whole block of icons that has moved so that the block of Quick Launch icons is now on the right.

SANTOS7 23:30 07 Mar 2005

unlock the taskbar, hold mouse pointer over leading edge of the taskbar,somewhere near the middle, until it looks like a double headed arrow left click and hold button down you can now drag the taskbar down to the bottom of the screen release mouse button

woodchip 23:35 07 Mar 2005

You have to left click on a clear space on the task bar and drag

woodchip 23:36 07 Mar 2005

PS in Win98 Task Bar cannot be locked

FelixTCat 10:59 08 Mar 2005

Thank you all. It isn't moving the whole task bar that is the problem.

From left to right, the task bar used to consist of 4 sections:

Start

Quick Launch

Running Programs

System (e.g. clock, network icon, volume control etc.

The Quick Launch toolbar can be resized.

On this system, the order of the toolbars, still left to right, is:

Start

Running Programs

Quick Launch

System (e.g. clock, network icon, volume control etc.

I have no idea how that happened. It does not seem to affect the running of the system but, as a control freak, I want to move it back.

Any ideas, please.

SANTOS7 11:04 08 Mar 2005

in between each section there should be a spacer bar hold mouse cursor over this leftclick and hold button down you should now be able to drag the bar accross the taskbar you want to move the space bar to the right of your quick launch and move it all the way to the left if you do this correctly the sections will change place.....

Simsy 11:21 08 Mar 2005

what you have to do is drag the taskbar, (with the open applications on), from left to right, past the quick launch one, which will now go to the left.

Grab it by the little vertical bar at it's left hand edge.

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 11:23 08 Mar 2005

that SANTOS7 had said basically the same thing as me.

The relevant point is that you can drag from left to right, but not from right to left!

Regards,

Simsy

FelixTCat 11:31 08 Mar 2005

Thanks, guys. I just tried that on my XP set-up (I don't have Win 98 here). I found that I had to drag the left-hand separator of the running programs toolbar, wherever it was at the time, and move it to where I wanted it. (I think that's whatyou said.)

You're quite right; the Quick Launch toolbar then jumped right across to the right.

We love and learn. Actually, that should have been "live", but it is correct that way also :o)

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie