Quick free email opinion please

The Dazza 15:24 19 Dec 2008

hi guys, I have a Google email account a Hotmail account and was wondering what is the best free email service including these? I cannot connect to free email at work due to the firewall but would like to know which is the best free email service available then I can sack off my other accounts.

Loads of opinions welcome!

Merry Christmas

DippyGirl 15:43 19 Dec 2008

I use Google and Yahoo and download to a Thunderbird client so not too familiar with the web interfaces. Seems OK, I have never experienced any problems. No Spam to either and more storage than I need.

gel 16:01 19 Dec 2008

I have used Google for last 18 months
Excellent
gel

palinka 16:36 19 Dec 2008

bear in mind that ALL dial-up email accounts are "free" except for the cost of the phone call; you don't pay anything to the ISP. But it depends whether you want to use Outlook/Outlook Express/Windows Mail/ or similar, or if you prefer the webmail approach.

Pineman100 17:29 19 Dec 2008

Until a couple of months ago, I used an email client (Outlook) to download all my messages.

However, having changed to Google Mail on the recommendation of a friend, I'm absolutely sold on it.

It's quick and easy to use, the 'label' system is, in my view, much more flexible than using folders, and most important of all, you can never lose your emails or your contacts in a crash.

Clapton is God 19:23 19 Dec 2008

Google Mail has an excellent spam filter.

You can also set it up to download your e-mails through an e-mail client such as Outlook Express or Outlook so you don't have to waste time logging into their web mail service.

MAJ 19:24 19 Dec 2008

GoogleMail for me.

rdave13 19:39 19 Dec 2008

You could also try AOL mail.

The Dazza 22:01 19 Dec 2008

Do ISP's allow you to keep your email account with them if you leave?

Stuartli 23:19 19 Dec 2008

Not normally, but the usual method is to set up a dial up account with the particular ISP (use it as necessary to keep it active).

interzone55 23:49 19 Dec 2008

I've been using Google Mail since it's early days, late 2004, and have found it to be excellent.

The spam filter hardly ever lets spam enter the inbox, and I only get a couple of false positives a month. And I'm pretty certain the current storage of 7275gb, and growing daily,can't be beat.

Many people have good things to say about GMX mail click here, this gives 5gb of space and allows email attachments up to 50mb, although most other email servers only allow 10mb through, so it's not that useful...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?