Quick email attachment question

SDJ 16:10 02 Sep 2003

Friend just called me to say that they received an email from me with an access attachment. I told them to save the file to disk but they forgot and said that when she went to open it this morning (again through outlook express > open attachement) everything they did yesterday on the file was lost!

I have just tried it myself (sending the email to myself opening the attachment editing it and closing and then reopening) and it does save even if I havent saved it to disk.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers in advance

palinka 20:06 02 Sep 2003

Do you mean they made changes to the attachment and the changes are lost? Or is it that the attachment is apparently lost? If the latter, use Start > Search/Find to find it as the computer may have saved it in a temp file soemwhere.

sue1201 21:35 02 Sep 2003

Is this to do with your friend's security settings in Outlook (Express)?

In Tools/Options/Security there is a check box that says "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus". This caught me out once!

Or, if your friend's email is web-based rather than downloaded to his/her computer: If they did work on the file without saving it, next time they went online to their mail the original (unaltered) file would still be on the mail server.

Hope this makes sense, I'm finding it difficult to explain what I mean!

Good luck

SDJ 19:26 04 Sep 2003

Thanks for your suggestions.
Sorry I havent posted sooner but I have been on the road and im having trouble with my aircard.

I couldnt work out what the problem was with the saving but I have now rectified it.

Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017