Questions re- pc wont start

redsusan 09:31 25 Apr 2010

Thank you for the help given to stop the re booting of my PC, it seems from the link given that it is a windows vista Update 937287 that caused the problem. what i need to know is what do i do about new updates that need installing, what if it has the same update and it causes the same problem. I don't want to have to keep re installing . there was no disks provided with PC and a lot of answers on other sites say to run the Vista CD at start up at the moment i have not updated anything more, hope that makes sense.

Susan

onthelimit 10:38 25 Apr 2010

If you change the automatic update setting to 'inform me but don't download', you will be able to untick the ones you don't want to install.

ame 16:06 25 Apr 2010

You can also hide the update so you don't accidentally download and install it in future.

redsusan 19:09 25 Apr 2010

I would hide it if i knew which one it was. I've read a lot about this problem with the Vista update, i was lucky to be able to get out of the loop, lots of others haven't,
It seems it's a big problem so why has there not been a fix for it? or has there and ive missed it?
The PC is only 3 weeks old , i might try taking it back to Argos and see what they say.

Susan

onthelimit 19:21 25 Apr 2010

You say in your first post that it was 937287 that caused the problem. You can block that particular one if you change the settings as I suggested. If it's a download causing the difficulty, Argos won't be the slightest bit interested.

redsusan 19:49 25 Apr 2010

Yes i read somewhere that it was 937287 (cant remember where ive been reading anything i can about it all day).
The reason i thought of taking it back is so many people are having trouble with microsoft updates on Vista ,i thought they should know, oh well,
Susan

mooly 08:02 26 Apr 2010

Is it a laptop ? Most PC's have a recovery procedure to enable you to return it all to "day one" by reinstalling the operating system from a hidden partition.

3 weeks old with Vista... are Argos still selling PC's with Vista.

I googled your KB number and it seems an old problem... 2 years old... so that should have been sorted ages ago.

I run Vista and tbh haven't had a single update problem... not much comfort to you... although I don't have them install automatically.

Is your PC already supplied with Vista service pack 2 installed ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?