Questions about web-safe fonts

ade.h 18:29 23 Feb 2006

I had always assumed that any font that is available from the options in NOF would be web-safe - like the background colours - but I have apparently found otherwise with Cataneo BT. The published work-in-progress looks fine on my laptop (which has NOF on it, and so has that font as well) but it looks awful on my desktop.

1) Is this font safe to use? Is it part of Windows?

2) How can I find out which fonts are safe to use and/or part of Windows?

3) Is there any way of directing a browser to use a particular "reserve" font if the first choice isn't available?

I can't give a link, as it looks so ugly that I've swiftly removed it!

Forum Editor 19:17 23 Feb 2006

and browsers will use their default font if they can't find a particular typeface on the machine.

click here for a very useful listing of browser-safe fonts for Windows and Macs.

ade.h 19:25 23 Feb 2006

Hmm, okay. Thanks for the response, FE.

That list is pretty short; I'll play around with a few alternatives, perhaps pick something that XP has natively so at least a reasonable number of visitors will see it correctly.

It's a real shame, because Cataneo BT looked really good on this site. I have read about embedded fonts, but I think that requires a file download and I really don't want to force that on the site's visitors.

beynac 21:58 23 Feb 2006

In answer to your question 3. My understanding is that you can list a number of fonts in a stylesheet, separated by a comma. e.g. 'font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Tahoma, sans-serif;'

If the browser can't find the first it will move to the next, then the next; ending with the generic 'sans-serif' if it can't find any of the others.

jgosden 22:01 23 Feb 2006

It also depends what you want to do with it. Recently i wanted to make nav images but to be based on a backend have made them generate off PHP so new images don't have to be made every time.

You can upload font files and then have PHP execute this as an image which is good if your just doing small bits of text that you want everyone to be able to see. Obviously for large text blocks this isn't the answer.

The most popular font for websites is still Verdana because it looks nice and clean and is available to all users!

jgosden 22:03 23 Feb 2006

beynac is correct you can do this.

I appologise i think i misread your question. Nowdays unless your using obscure fonts you shouldn't have to many problems. Remember you want the text to be easy and simple to read fancy fonts can often detract from the overall look of the site

ade.h 22:15 23 Feb 2006

You might as well have typed your first post in Greek, as stuff about PHP goes way over my head!
I haven't seen you posting before, so I can easily forgive this, though. Thanks for the input anyway.

Regarding fancy fonts, this site is one of those that actually needs something a bit fancy, with serifs. Cataneo was ideal.

ade.h 22:16 23 Feb 2006

Thanks for the response, but I don't use CSS at all, so stylesheet stuff is out, for now at least.

beynac 22:18 23 Feb 2006

If you have a near equivalent of Cataneo, you could still use it as per my earlier post (which you may have missed).

ade.h 22:22 23 Feb 2006

I can only see one post from you (apart from the one directly above); at 21:58, when you mentioned stylesheets and reserve fonts.

I don't anything about stylesheets, sorry.

beynac 22:22 23 Feb 2006

ade.h We must have posted at the same time. I don't know how NOF works, but doesn't it give you the possibility of alternatives? e.g. (font face='Cataneo, AlternativeFont, cursive'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?