Questions about Installing Mandrake 9.0

tran1 22:15 20 Feb 2003

Hi,

I finally received 'Partition Magic 9.0' today (bought on Amazon for a whopping £20) Before I set about installing Mandrake, I've got some questions for which you good forum members can help me with.

Should I install Bootmagic before I start to install Mandrake or do I install Mandrake?

I have a 120GB 7200rpm hard drive with Xp running in it. How big a partition should I make for linux?

In PM8, There is an option to create a new partition especially for new operating systems. Should I install Mandrake via PM8 or Doing it the normal way by booting from the CD. I'm not sure how far PM8 will go to insatll the new OS. Obviously it will create the nessessary partitions but will it also install Linux for me? (i.e ask me to insert linux Cd).

I have a 40Gb 5200rpm backup drive. Would linux run better on its own drive?

I thinks thats all my questions for now, thanks in advance to all those that spend time to help others here in this great community.

John T

woodchip 23:00 20 Feb 2003

start with Partition Magic and reduce the C:\ drive size by about 6Gb just leave the free space for Mandrake to see it will set itself up on the free space, like falling of a log. Restart with number one CD in the comp make shure that your cmos is set to CD as the first boot disc it look's for and just follow the instructions

tran1 11:52 21 Feb 2003

In partition magic, there is an option to create a partition to install another OS eg Linux. The help files on this are a bit vague and was wondering if partition magic goes as far as helping you to install linux as well? i.e it will ask you to insert first mandrake CD.

or does it simply just create a partition?

If it does help to install OS as well, I will use PM8 becuase it will be more simpler thaan ti create and intall direct from Mandrake installation CDs.

woodchip 14:41 21 Feb 2003

Just do what I said above and you will not have any probs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?