Question regarding ram

©®@$? 14:51 08 Jun 2004

if ram is not compatible with the system what sort of outcome can you expect(even if it is the support memory type)..does the computer ignore the memory and not detect it, does it detect it but doesn't function right

as i have got some ram, which is working fine on my other motherboard, but will not get picked up at all with this new motherboard..have tried different slots, have tried just booting with the module in by itself,, they system will just beep not recognising it..

another issue is that i have got some other ram from ebay to put in this new motherboard..the motherboard detects it and works normal, well i thought, until i try and install any software, the computer says it is corrupt, and i have blue screens etc..obviously because of this ram, did a memory check on it, and it found 1,969 errors in the ram, which at that point i aborted the test..so my next question

does that mean the ram is simply faulty or could it be not compatible

Diodorus Siculus 16:04 08 Jun 2004

Possibly a compatibility error as you have guessed; modern motherboards are good at detecting incompatible RAM and rather than risk instability, they will simply not detect the RAM. There was an article on Toms Hardware about this recently.

The second issue I am not so sure of; I may be over cautious but I alway buy RAM from crucial simply because I know that if there are any problems, I can return with no queries.

©®@$? 16:09 08 Jun 2004

not over cautious at all, crucial are simply the best, it was that it is pc133 sdram that i need, and i got it cheap on ebay

Rayuk 19:03 08 Jun 2004

Cheap but not so cheerful,I actually bought a 128 PC133 sdram on ebay recently but was lucky in that it was Micron.

Would never entertain non branded memory of any sort,was what you picked up branded in any way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?