WinXP SP3

>Control Panel
>Display Icon
>Screen Saver Button
Under 'Monitor Power'
>Power Button
Under 'Power Schemes'
Click 'v' Down Arrow
You now have the choice of the following schemes...

Home/Office Desk

Portable Laptop

Presentation

Always On

Minimal Power Management

Max Battery

Q: Which of the above is your PC set to and why?

I mainly Edit Graphics and Record Music and my PC is set to: Home/Office Desk.
I'm wondering that if I were to set it to something different it would perform better/faster.

Muergo 17:55 28 Feb 2011

I suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affliction Disorder) so mine is Always On as it lights up the room at night while I'm listening/streaming/recording Radio/TV etc keeps me company and heats the room, although not so much now my new PC doesn't seem to put out as much as the old Dell beast.

Not concerned with power saving, just starting my car uses more than a years PC consumption watts!.

A lovely wallpaper of Stonehenge from the Firefox album goes well.

woodchip 18:15 28 Feb 2011

When Set to Laptop as an Example, it will economise on use of power. Like Screen Dimming, and other power save options

Graphicool1 10:06 01 Mar 2011

Designed to save power and keep the bills down? Nothing to do with speed or performance. I guess in that case I may as well leave it where it is.

Cheers guys for your input. G1

PS Muergo
You make your PC room sound quite cosy.

Batch 12:05 01 Mar 2011

I've set my desktop PC up to go into standby after 1/2 hour of inactivity and I often put it into standby via the shutdown dialogue box anyhow.

The juice saving is quite dramatic. Having put a mains power meter across it, in standby it uses virtually no power (the meter registers at 0W) whereas it uses up to 200W in use.

If I take an average hands on usage of, say, 4 hours per day and average consumption rate of 150W whilst not in standby. Then, compared with leaving it on 24/7, I'm saving 150W x 20 x 365 p.a. (= 1095000W or 1095KW). At a price of 9p per KW, that's saving £98.55 p.a.

BTW, it takes literally moments to come out of standby.

Graphicool1 12:16 01 Mar 2011

"BTW, it takes literally moments to come out of standby."

It's not the same as hibernation then?

I don't use 'Screen Savers', but if my screen is inactive for more than 10 minutes the screen goes black. Depending on how long it's been in this state before I return. It can be a pig to 'wake' it up again! Bearing in mind that I have 'Hibernation' turned OFF!?

woodchip 13:40 01 Mar 2011

Your pricing does not had up, we are talking low volts not 250AC this reduced for all PC's in the PSU or Mains adapter for a Laptop down at most about 22volts like for a Laptop.

Graphicool1
Standby uses more power.
hibernate creates a image, when you press go hibernate as to load the Image. That's what you see when bar is going across bottom of screen when it is reloading

Batch 14:03 01 Mar 2011

Woodchip
--------
Sorry Woodchip, but the figures do add up.

I used a mains power meter at the mains socket and measured the mains power consumption. The figures all relate to that.

Graphicool1
-----------
There are different levels of standby defined. Most modern PCs should use S3 state (see click here for details) for standby.

It isn't the same as hibernation. In hibernation the PC is actually powered-off with the memory contents written to disk and flag set so that on powering-up, rather than re-boot, the memory contents are restored from the disk. But in standby the memory contents is left in place and (just) enough power is drawn to maintain this state and just about everything else is powered down.

Graphicool1 14:08 01 Mar 2011

In >Control Panel<
>Display<
>Sreen Saver<
I have the 'Settings' switched to 'None'.

There is no mention of 'Stand By'.

After 10 mins of inactivity the screen goes black. To be able to see the desktop again I have to shake the mouse fast, from side to side. The longer the screen has been black, the longer and faster I have to shake that mouse. There is no increment bar running across my screen at any time during this farce.

On my PC Hibernation is switched OFF.

Muergo 14:20 01 Mar 2011

Sorry woodchip a watt is a watt independent of voltage, watt= ampxvolt so at lower volts its more amps, but we pay for Kw/hours the only snag is the wastage in the transformer, you get a fraction of the watts out from the watts in, the rest heats up the transformers and rectifiers, and the cheap transformers give pulsing d.c. cutting off half the sine wave, losing it.

The only way to improve it is to double the rectification up costing more in components, that way you would get both halves and thus a proper d.c. with a bit of ripple in it (not raspberry!)

I don't know why Shanghai factory number 4 doesn't churn out double wave transformers, the extra cost is minimal.

woodchip 14:25 01 Mar 2011

Look under Power not display, Put the Hard Disc to never turn off as in lots of computers they will not restart if its set to power down the drive. Other settings including Hibernate are under Power Settings in one of the Tabs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?