Question regarding DVD rewriter drives.

wesparmalee 15:14 19 Feb 2005

I've just taken out my old CD rewriter drive,and replaced it with a new DVD rewriter drive.I still have my regular DVD Rom drive installed also,but as i will most likely be using the new DVD drive to watch and record DVD,do i really need the DVD ROM drive now?What i really need to know is can i put the old CD rewriter in for burning normal audio discs,and do away with the Rom drive altogether.Will this set up run normally?Thankyou.

Diodorus Siculus 15:17 19 Feb 2005

I would keep the DVD ROM for watching DVDs and the writer for writing both DVDs and CDs.

Haggismuncheruk 15:18 19 Feb 2005

You could remove your old dvd drive and put in your cd-r drive but really you don't need it either because you can burn normal cd's in your dvd writer too.

ACOLYTE 15:20 19 Feb 2005

The DVD/RW will do what the other 2 could so you only need the one drive but as Diodorus Siculus
has said i would keep the DVD Rom drive for watching DVD's may make the RW drive last that bit longer.

ACOLYTE 15:22 19 Feb 2005

To answer the other bit you can run a DVD/RW and a CD/RW drive together with no problems i would set the DVD/RW to master and the other to slave if you go that way.

Totally-braindead 15:25 19 Feb 2005

As the others have said, you could replace the DVD Rom with the CD writer but providing you only have one hard drive why not just leave everything installed, you're allowed 4 IDE devices thats your hard drive, the CD writer, the DVD writer and the DVD Rom.

ACOLYTE 15:29 19 Feb 2005

Thats a possability but you have to remember that having a CD and HDD on same channel will slow down the HDD to the CD drives speed.

THE TERMINATOR 16:18 19 Feb 2005

DVD writer and CD writer for me. Do you watch DVD's on your comp or the telly? If you watch them on the telly, then the drive in your comp won't get used apart from burning anyway. And if one burner does pack up, you will still be able to burn with the other one....TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?