Question pls, re. My PC and Sons PC he gave me....

AngeTheHippy 17:32 25 Mar 2007

Afternoon chaps, this could well be answered in one easy word, but will run it by you all first. My Son has very kindly donated to me his PC tower - he's had this about 3 years, it's higher spec to mine, and he doesn't use it, it's more or less a 'new' XP SP2 machine. I haven't powered it up yet, so can't tell you EXACTLY what I've got. Question is, is it possible to connect both PCs with a cable (not a network setup as such..) so I can use them in tandem? save to that HDD as well as my own? It's got the added bonus of DVD writer that mine doesn't have, and I think a faster chip. Whadayathink?

AngeTheHippy
xxx

joeapperley123 17:41 25 Mar 2007

doubtful.

you could perhaps use some components out of one and put them in the other, i haven't heard of an easy way of running them in tandem.

AndySD 17:41 25 Mar 2007

It can be done with a special USD connector but its simpler with a crossover network cable.

AndySD 17:42 25 Mar 2007

D'oh should read USB

pj123 18:00 25 Mar 2007

Probably not exactly what you want but could go some way towards it.

My friend has a kvm switch connecting two PCs to 1 monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers.

click here

The hot key is "press the Scroll Lock twice" to switch from one to the other.

Unfortunately, you can only use them one at a time although they can both be switched on.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:58 25 Mar 2007

To run both PCs together connect with a crossover cable.

But why bother?
If you need more storage take the hard drive out of your PC and add as slave to his. If you do'nt want to open the case on his then buy a caddy and fit your old drive into it and use as an external drive via USB.

Totally-braindead 19:05 25 Mar 2007

I have to agree with Fruit Bat /\0/\ unless you are wanting to set up some sort of network theres no advantage to this. You wouldn't get any sort of speed boost by running 2 PCs if thats what you were thinking.
If it was me I'd pick the best bits out of each PC and make one really good one.

AngeTheHippy 21:43 25 Mar 2007

I'll knock that idea on the head then.... Thanks all anyway.

'nother problem though, he gave me a Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse which seems to cause problems with my broadband connection!! Would this be sheer coincidence or could the wireless bit interfere with the workings of the control bit (look like a mouse with 2 lights on...)?

xx

Technotiger 21:48 25 Mar 2007

Hi, have a look to see if the wireless k'bd and mouse have more than one radio channel - if so change the channel and try it again. (These items do often have more than one channel in case of conflicts with other peripherals.)

AngeTheHippy 21:50 25 Mar 2007

as per usual, there wasn't any paperwork given me by Son for this. I don't know how to check radio channels...

Technotiger 21:52 25 Mar 2007

You would be able to see a small slide-switch, if it does have this facility. Probably underneath mouse and/or keyboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone