Question on this, it cannot be given title

woodchip 21:12 21 Jul 2003

I am on Win98 got Free ZoneAlarm and Anti-Virus, how have I managed to get programs added to communications folder ISDN etc I am on Dial up, I have also had different networking protocols added to Networking without me doing anything. Which I have removed. Any IDEA's

powerless 21:19 21 Jul 2003

"Programs added without me knowing - how?"

OK any new software, hardware, updates etc installed?

You are sure they weren't there in the first place?

Gingermum 21:20 21 Jul 2003

The Internet is a very dangerous place and you need a firewall even on dial-up. I would also suggest increasing the security settings of your browser and being very selective about the places you visit and which scripts, activeX controls etc you allow to run.

woodchip 21:25 21 Jul 2003

No new software added. Do not go very far on the Net this is my main port.

woodchip 21:25 21 Jul 2003

PS all out of the blue

powerless 21:27 21 Jul 2003

Hmmm...

Are you the only user of the computer?

woodchip 21:31 21 Jul 2003

Yep my daughter does not come on without me knowing, she is 43 and would not play with any settings just maybe check in at Argos shop site or similar

zanwalk 21:33 21 Jul 2003

Sounds like a virus to me, I have had some trouble recently with a folder on the 'programs' menu going missing (the folder contained shortcuts to the antivirus and firewall programs...) The programs still existed but the paths had disappeared, this happened at the same time as AVG discovered and dealt with a virus.

woodchip 21:34 21 Jul 2003

PS I posted a thread other week about the two little tv's downloading after page was loaded both in Opera and today I have had it with Netscape7 I finished pressing the stop button in ZoneAlarm to stop the activity

User-312386 21:36 21 Jul 2003

hi mate

sounds like the dialer may have tried to update itself

VoG II 21:37 21 Jul 2003

Have you done a check for a trojan? Try The Cleaner from click here - free trial.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?