A question for the Acronis experts

hiwatt 18:41 08 Apr 2009

Hi folks.I've created my bootable cd(rescue media)with acronis true image.How do I use this to restore the back up of my c:drive?

cocteau48 19:02 08 Apr 2009

There are three ways to access your backed up image:
1. Insert the rescue CD and reboot.
2. Choose "restore" image from within the Acronis GUI.
3. Right click on the saved image and choose "recover" from the drop down context menu.

Using the rescue CD will automatically open the Acronis interface where it will ask you to locate your saved image and then just follow the on screen prompts to complete the restore.

DieSse 00:10 09 Apr 2009

"1. Insert the rescue CD and reboot."

Having first made sure that the system BIOS is set to boot from CD, and if required, pressing a key at the noted time during the boot process.

Batch 09:34 09 Apr 2009

FYI, the boot CD loads up a version of Acronis that runs in its own (Linux?) shell. Otherwise it functions pretty much the same as Acronis does from within Windows.

You get to the same shell version of Acronis if you attempt to do a restore of your currently active system partition from within Windows. Acronis detects this (and won't let you restore over the current active system partition [for very good reason]) - it then offers you the option to reboot and will again load Acronis in its own shell.

hiwatt 11:59 09 Apr 2009

So I have the back up of my c:drive on dvd's.I boot from the acronis rescue media cd.What should I do next to restore from the dvd's?Thanks.

DieSse 12:16 09 Apr 2009

"What should I do next to restore from the dvd's?Thanks."

Er - choose Restore from the Acronis program, and follow the instructions it gives you. As per the first answer.

hiwatt 14:20 09 Apr 2009

I know it might sound like a bit of an obvious question but I have never used the program and have never had to back up my c:drive so I just want to make sure that I am doing it correct and with a bit of advice from people who are used to doing it.That's all.

john bunyan 14:38 09 Apr 2009

Whilst DVD back up may work ok, with the price of USB Hard drives at about £60 for 500 gig, I would try to see if you could get one - far quicker to back up / create images etc with a second disk. (Or a second buit in HD)

gazzaho 14:48 09 Apr 2009

hiwatt
When restoring from your Acronis boot CD it will ask for the last file in the backup set, if you backed up to multiple DVD disks it will be on the last disk made. Once this disk is inserted and the file found it will then ask you to insert the first DVD disk, from there it's automatic, just insert the disks when asked.

It might be a good idea to verify your backup DVD disks from within the boot cd Linux environment, I've read of some people having backups fail even though the verification in Windows completed successfully.

natdoor 15:43 09 Apr 2009

Maybe the point has been missed that, as I read it, you have not made an image of your c drive yet. I would also recommend the use of an external hard drive or a second internal drive or partition rather than DVDs.

To make an image is fairly straightforward. Presumably you have already installed Acronis. Once opened, the on-screen instuctions are easy to follow. The following site is one which will give a good overview //click here

hiwatt 11:54 10 Apr 2009

Thanks everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017