Question about repairing a Windows Home XP problem

erkmatrix 14:27 31 Jan 2004

Hi I've been having problems all day with computer not been able to open any When I click a hyperlink in an e-mail message or on a Web page, or my search window under start , my system restore also wont work just Nothing happens.

I've been told to try and repair my windows home XP by putting in my windows xp disk and in Setup letting it delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

Just wanted to ask before I did such a drastic thing, is there any chance I will lose all my data like software and business accounts on my hard drive and will it lose all my emails from outlook express. Please can a expert tell me what I could lose if I did this.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Big Elf 14:37 31 Jan 2004

Although using the system file checker (sfc) or the 'repair' option shouldn't cause you to lose data I personally would back it up before attempting it just in case anything goes wrong, particularly if your data is that important.

Have you tried putting CD in (holding down the shift key to stop it autorunning) and then click Start, Run type in sfc /scannow then click OK.

This will check and replace any corrupt system files.

Rayuk 14:38 31 Jan 2004

You shouldnt lose anything but then again accidents can happen so best to back up any data you dont want to lose.

Of course you should do this as a matterof norm.

powerless 14:44 31 Jan 2004

WebPage - click here

Email - click here [assuming OE]

Repair IE and OE - click here

erkmatrix 15:37 31 Jan 2004

jeez this just seems like one problem after another, now I go and try the disk that came with my Time computer titled Your Windows XP Reload/Backup disk and restarted my computer with the disk in, it then comes up with this disk is not suitable for this PC error message please report error. So what should I do, XP was already installed on the machine when I got it December 2002 for Christmas and nothing has gone wrong before so never needed to use the XP backup disk.

MichelleC 15:51 31 Jan 2004

I could be mistaken but there's not many repairs you can do without full xp disc. Restore cd will take you back to factory settings (and lose data etc).

erkmatrix 16:04 31 Jan 2004

well the restore disc doesn't work anyhow, I have wrote a email to Time computers about this and what they suggest. Can't believe it though started of as a simple problem I thought and now its mounted to this where I can't do anything about it. What I can't work out is how it happened, to be ok one minute then the next won't let me open up hyperlinks which I could proberly live with and just get opera and use that instead for the internet but there must be something wrong with the XP home for it to be not opening search window and the system restore to also have a fault so I can't go back to a time when the machine was working.

TommyRed 16:29 31 Jan 2004

I know this is closing the gate after the horse has bolted but think about taking an image when you re-install XP. I took one after I installed the majority of my programs but the PC was empty of doc's etc. In a problem situation I would use this image (Acronis True Image) to restore to. I tried it out when I made the image and it worked. TR

erkmatrix 16:47 31 Jan 2004

Sorry Tommy but I don't understand what is meant by take a image.

powerless 17:06 31 Jan 2004

See post @ 14:44

Copy and Paste:

http: //support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Into your address bar, remove the space and click GO.

VoG II 17:08 31 Jan 2004

We've tried that click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?