Question about Partitioning Drives:

Mad Boy 12:47 29 Apr 2003

I have used partition Magic before, but recently I had to format my PC. Anyway I still have these drives:

C:WINDOWS
D:EXTRAS
E:CRAIGS
F:CD-ROM
G:CD-WRITER

Now then, i want to remove D:EXTRAS by deleting the partition but if i do so what will happen? Will the drives E:CRAIGS and the F: & G: fall a letter down so now E:CRAIGS is actually D:CRAIGS? and once that has being done does all my shortcuts that were linked to E: will they work?

Thanks for going through this thanks

HighTower 12:56 29 Apr 2003

Do you still have partition magic? If so it has a utility called drive mapper which will update all of your shortcuts when you merge a partition and your drive letters change.

Paranoid Android 13:04 29 Apr 2003

Yes. In fact you would probably be better off deleting the data on D: and relabelling it CRAIGS, and moving all your data from E: to D:

Shortcuts to documents should update to D: automatically when you move the target documents, any applications can be moved over using MagicMover.

Then you can safely remove E: and your hard disk drive letters will not change.

If you allocate the space from E: to D: it will be fairly quick. If you allocate it to C: it will take a lot longer because partition D: will have to be moved up.

The CD drive letters will drop by one letter but these can be re-set to F: and G: in the drive properties.

Marvin

Paranoid Android 13:05 29 Apr 2003

Crossed.

Mad Boy 13:06 29 Apr 2003

Thanks, thats enough info cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?