Question about MS Excel

oo7juk 22:34 01 Nov 2006

Hi, hope someone can help.

I have a workbook that contains about 45,000 rows of text. Throughtout the workbook there is certain rows of text which I want to delete. Rather than doing this individually is there another way of performing this action.

Many thanks.

skeletal 22:58 01 Nov 2006

Try Find and Replace (under Edit)? In the “find” form type in words that you want to delete, but don’t put anything in the “replace” form. Then (after making a backup!) do “Replace all”. The words will be replaced by nothing...i.e. deleted.

Skeletal

oo7juk 11:20 02 Nov 2006

Thanks for that, I was thinking of that myself but, each row doesn't contain the same text. Is there a way of identifying rows and deleting them all at once.

Thanks,

VoG II 11:26 02 Nov 2006

What is unique about the rows to be deleted?

Do you actually want to delete the rows or clear their contents?

oo7juk 21:30 03 Nov 2006

I don't require the info within the rows so I would prefer to delete them. It's a large workbook and would like to remove before I sort the data.

VoG II 21:35 03 Nov 2006

OK but what is it about the rows that you want to delete that makes them deletable? Is there a particular value for example in Column A.

Without knowing this it is pretty well impossible to go further.

VoG II 08:03 04 Nov 2006

Vog I sent you an email earlier this week and you replied with the info I needed. It was a list of addresses and each address has a sub heading. This is what I want to delete. After doing this action I can group all areas together and start the next stage. I only sent you a small extract of the workbook. James

=============================

If I recall correctly, what you sent me (uninvited) was a sheet with names and addresses in column A. There were no sub-headings.

I am happy to help you but the whole idea of the forum is that others can either learn from or help solve your problem. The yellow envelope is intended for invited personal messages. Having said that, you are welcome to send me an example containing sub-headings and I'll see what I can do.

oo7juk 21:17 04 Nov 2006

Yeah sorry, just sometimes it's hard to explain, by providing a sample it makes it easier to resolve, apologies again and to other members too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?