question about internet security

Lord_Monkfish 11:12 07 May 2007

I have a query about using Firefox to remember passwords: basically, is it safe?

For example, on Amazon.co.uk it'd be great to allow Firefox to remember my username and password for me, but I wonder if this is safe? I realise the dangers of doing this on a shared or public computer, but what about a personal PC? Is there any virus or spyware that could find out your passwords for sites like Amazon through Firefox?

Forum Editor 11:25 07 May 2007

Mine is that I will never allow a browser to store login details for any site.

Lord_Monkfish 12:15 07 May 2007

That has always been my view, simply due to internet security paranoia, which I suppose is never a bad thing.

But this brings me to another question regarding a piece of software called Roboform. With every account I have for various sites, I use individual passwords, all of extreme complexity to deter any would-be hacker. Without software the only way I could remember all this information is by writing it down, something that I really wouldn't want to do, especially when it concerns sensitive details. So I found the password manager Roboform a godsend because it could store all the information I needed and all I'd have to remember was one master password (which again is of enough complexity that I think it secure). The only thing that concerns me is that could my information stored in Roboform be accessed from the internet somehow? The company who make the software have a good reputation and I've seen good reviews, but that still doesn't relieve me of all my worries.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:43 07 May 2007

You are being way too paranoid. Your details will not be 'accessed over the Internet' and Roboform is as good as any, I should know because I have used it for over 2 years. Unless you are a spook, keep state secrets on your computer or have a fixed IP address you will not be of the slightest interest to anyone else, especially crooks. There are much easier ways to relieve people of their money than trying to hack personal accounts. You have mor chance of winning the Lotto 3 weeks on the trot than being hacked on a home computer, in spite of what weary hacks and some 'security' sites would have you believe.

G

woodchip 15:54 07 May 2007

I use it in Netscape 7.2. Never had a problem in years

woodchip 15:56 07 May 2007

But still feel Wary, and not always allow. it depends on the site I am using

Totally-braindead 16:01 07 May 2007

I'm kind of with woodchip on this, it depends on the site. On here for example I let my browser store my login details but I don't do it on sites that I use for purchases.

woodchip 16:03 07 May 2007

That about sums it up

woodchip 16:04 07 May 2007

And also why I always forget my Login

Lord_Monkfish 17:14 07 May 2007

It's good to hear from someone else who uses Roboform, I think most of my worries stemmed from the fact I had never read about it before on sites and magazines from the UK. I think it's the sort of software I'd like to hear about, especially from magazines that are as passionate about internet security as PC Advisor! Maybe PC Advisor could do a test on password managers (if there are many) and people would know how to store hard to remember details safely and prevent key-loggers from getting what they want!

p;3 17:45 07 May 2007

I would suggest that for general log in to forums etc you could let the browser remember the log in ; BUT; on ANY shared computer I use I NEVER allow my log in to be remembered;

what you may wish to do is just go to the sites and decline to let them remember your log in

of interst, my bank has a very complex log in system that changes each time at log in

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017