question about GPU + monitor connector

fields999 16:03 06 Mar 2009

Hi

i recently bought a new pc and it has 128mb dedicated graphics. I looked inside and i could not see a graphics card anywhere, but anyway i already had an nvidia 512mb dedicated gpu so i put that in the graphics card slot on the motherboard. I wonder if it will use both of these graphics.

Also my computer has 2 monitor cable slots now, one on the graphics card and one which is just attached to a box on the motherboard. I should attach my monitor to the one on my nvidia 512mb graphics card right?

Sorry about the question, im not an expert on computers really. But if someone could tell me about this that would be great thanks.

MAT ALAN 16:10 06 Mar 2009

I wonder if it will use both of these graphics.

NO it will not!!!, if you put a standalone graphics card in your system will use that ONLY, in doing so you might have to disable the onboard VGA drivers and install latest drivers for your other card...

MAT ALAN 16:13 06 Mar 2009

Steps...disable onboard graphics...

1. Disable the onboard graphics (assuming that you are running Windows). Turn your computer on and log on using Safe Mode. You can do this by pressing F8 repeatedly during boot up. You should come to a list of options; highlight Safe Mode using the up and down buttons, and press 'Enter' to select.
2. Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
3. Select the Advanced tab, and click on Device Manager.
4. Click on the '+' by the picture of a monitor. It should pull up your graphics device (something like Intel Integrated Graphics).
5. Right click on the device for your onboard graphics.Disable it, don't uninstall it; otherwise, this will cause you a world of trouble.
6. Log off, and power your computer off.
7. Remove the case cover and insert the new card in an empty slot.
8. Plug your monitor cable into the new card, and when you log on, it should run on low resolution until the driver is installed. It should find the new hardware, and from here, follow the graphics card installation manual. Sometimes it has programs that install the driver and not the Found New Hardware Wizard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone