a question about google earth...

Ikelos 10:31 07 Jan 2006

hi,after reading about google earth, i downloaded it, what i would like to know, how close can it get to an area, in the images on their home page you can see the tops of the houses, i moved the slider up to zoom in, and all i got was pixels about half an inch wide, so i uninstalled it all, can it go in close, or have i lost the plot..

thanks

SG Atlantis® 10:35 07 Jan 2006

It depends on the area, where we live you can zoom right in on back gardens and make out the furniture slightly. But then where my missus is from North England, it's all blurry and you can do nothing.

Interestingly, Majorca is clear, we are going there in Summer and I managed to pin point the hotel, look at the size of the pools and we are only 2mins from the beach, by the looks of it.

VoG II 10:36 07 Jan 2006

High definition pictures are not yet available for the entire country (or earth). If you go for example to London or Paris you will get very good close-ups.

Monoux 10:44 07 Jan 2006

It seems to depend on where you want to look at. Most big towns are very clear when you scroll downwards but some areas are not mapped in so much detail so all you get is a blurry / fuzzy picture.I understand that google are improving the maps all the time so if it is unclear now look again in a few weeks/ months and it may have improved

hzhzhz 10:45 07 Jan 2006

Try the ufo over florida. 26-44-55 x 80-4-28
or Area 51. 37-14-53 x 115-48-1

Ikelos 10:46 07 Jan 2006

Thanks all, i will reinstall and try again. it could be me...

VCR97 19:40 07 Jan 2006

If you look at it when well zoomed-out you will see patches of obviously different hue. Those are the areas of better definition. The definition varies even across those areas.

VCR97 19:41 07 Jan 2006

Somewhere, probably in "Help" is a set of FAQs which you might find useful.

€dstowe 19:54 07 Jan 2006

Remember that Google Earth is a dynamic sytem and it takes time to load.

What starts of as half inch pixels may eventually resolve into a very detailed map.

I live in the back of beyond but, Google Earth will show me the small pond in my garden if I give it long enough (only a few seconds) to fully download.

Ikelos 19:55 07 Jan 2006

i might have made a mistake in uninstalling it in the first place, at this moment it will install, then all i get is the message that the prog is not responding, just tried for the 3rd time and it is still the same.....I will keep at it....

Stuartli 20:02 07 Jan 2006

It is also essentially an American based facility - if you go to Miami or Chicago airport, for instance, you can zoom in on planes parked around the circular gate terminals and other aircraft taking off or landing...:-)

Also try the A to B route feature using US highways.

You will be staggered at the detail as you pan along the route from whatever angle you wish.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?