Question about DVD-Rom Drives

Fried~Chips 00:06 25 Feb 2008

Hello,

Been looking for a reliable Black DVD Rom drive and notice there are not many like they use to be around. Is it because more machines are shipping with DVD-ReWtrs ? Would be interested to know why.

thanks

MAJ 00:10 25 Feb 2008

Think you've answered your own question, Fried~Chips. Who's going to buy a DVD-ROM drive when you can get a DVD Rewriter for £20?

Totally-braindead 00:10 25 Feb 2008

The probable answer is yes thats why. Thats my guess anyway.

Why make a DVD ROM retailing at say £12 and a DVD writer retailing at £18 when you can save costs and just make the DVD writer.

To be honest I never really noticed there was so few of them, you can still get them though click here

Stuartli 00:18 25 Feb 2008

There are DVD-ROMs around - cost around a tenner or a litle more. See:

click here

Actually, as DVD rewriters are somewhat more fragile than a ROM drive, it's best to use the latter for audio and video disks, installing software etc and use the rewriter purely for burning.

Fried~Chips 00:55 25 Feb 2008

Thats why I still use DVD R, do as not to wear the HDD or Wtr out, agree with you on that Stuartli.

Thanks for your replies, wonder how long the DVD Rom life is, looking I would say 10 months.

Stuartli 10:35 25 Feb 2008

>> looking I would say 10 months.>>

My Pioneer DVD-ROM drive was bought in 2001 or 2002 - it's still going strong.

Around the same time I acquired a TDK Cyclone 24x10x40x CD-RW drive - about 12 months ago it finally gave way for a Sony GA170 DVD-RW drive, but is kept on one side as a spare for possible temporary use.

MAJ 10:39 25 Feb 2008

My old Mirai CD Rewriter, bought around the end of 2000 is still going strong in my daughter's PC.

Totally-braindead 12:17 25 Feb 2008

I have a three year old Sony DVD ROM and a 2 year old Liteon DVD recorder in mine and both have been fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?