Query regarding windows media player!

Flak999 23:30 26 Jun 2005

Hi, does anybody know if you can get a virus or spyware via wmp? Recently when downloading audio or video content I have noticed that many files have had their file extensions changed from say .mpg to .mpg.wmv

When said content is then being played via wmp before the player starts to play the file a dialogue box opens saying a security download is needed!

Am i being over cautious? or is this a new way of proliferating virus's and spyware?

Flak999 11:46 27 Jun 2005

Anyone got the answer?

Kate B 12:56 27 Jun 2005

I would have thought it's possible. Do a scan of your machine with all the usual apps: AV, spyware, and see if Windows needs any updates - the latter in particular will tell you if there's a kosher update for Media Player.

Flak999 13:59 27 Jun 2005

Hi Kate thanks for the response, I have done as you suggested and my machine is completely up to date with all the latest patches, I have also run spybot, adaware, spyware blaster, and Microsoft antispyware all with a clean bill of health. My virus scanner is up to date and after a full system scan reports no hidden nasties. I am running the latest version of wmp, but I am still unsure as to whether to click on the ok to download the "security update" that I am prompted to do before I can play these files.

Am I being paranoid?

Ironman556 14:17 27 Jun 2005

It seems tyhat a trigger can be built into an MPG or wmv file which can launch a website, and I assume that once the website is open you can be 'attacked' by a whole lot of stuff. I use sygate firewall and don't alow WMP to access the internet unless I allow it.

Flak999 15:12 27 Jun 2005

Thanks for that, I must admit I am very suspicious of this and have decided that i will not allow the "security update" to run. It would be interesting to know if anyone else has had this experience.

Kate B 18:12 27 Jun 2005

I don't think you can be too paranoid about allowing unexpected access by apps to the internet!

Joe R 18:20 27 Jun 2005

Flak999,

Unsure about the security download bit, but as far as I am aware an audio file, cannot contain a virus.

Ironman556 12:29 02 Jul 2005

but wma etc must be slightly different.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?