Query re DVD RW Drive

emmandelo1 13:29 06 Apr 2007

Hi, WinXP SP2 and the drive is a Lite-on DVDRW LH-18A1P. Whenever I put a blank CD or DVD in this drive and right click properties it tells me the CD/DVD is 0% full and 0% empty. The pie graph thingy shows all blue as if the CD/DVD is full. I have tried this with 3 different brands of both CD's and DVD's. Device manager shows no problems with the drive. Is this normal or is there something wrong here? The drive plays both DVD's and Cd's but I have yet to burn to it successfully.

megat193 13:42 06 Apr 2007

The only comment I can make is that the read and write heads are separate, which might explain why it will read but not write. 'Device working properly' is a very vague Microsoft statement which cannot be relied upon. Other than that, I'm sorry, I cannot help.

Totally-braindead 13:46 06 Apr 2007

Regarding what it says that is normal.

Have you tried burning a disk? If so what program do you use, is it a DVD or CD and what happens?

skidzy 13:49 06 Apr 2007

As Totally-braindead says,what burning program do you currently use ? something to try click here

emmandelo1 13:54 06 Apr 2007

I'm using Nero 6. I've read a lot of threads on here so am fairly confident I'm doing it right, I'm trying to burn an AVI movie to a DVD R. As I said I have tried 3 different brands of DVD so assume that is not an issue. It gets about one third of the way through and then Nero freezes. I have to use task manager to close it. The DVD is then corrupt and the drive (or the drive on my laptop) does not recognise it at all.

skidzy 13:59 06 Apr 2007

Something to try,reset the DMA settings just incase its set to PIO click here

carper 14:02 06 Apr 2007

I've had a lot of trouble with Nero six, there seems to be a lot of conflicts. As skidzy says, try the link. I find it excellent in any DVD format.
Regards Carper

Totally-braindead 14:02 06 Apr 2007

It might be the AVI file.

I downloaded a few music videos and tried to burn them and it failed, not because of the disk or the program but because of the file.

What I would do is waste a DVD. Burn something you have like some music files or some photos or whatever and see if they burn ok. You could tick the box for multisession and use it as backup so its not a total waste.

Other idea which may be worth trying first is drop the burn speed. I usually use Infiniti Samurai disks as they are rated 16 speed and they burn ok. But I have some Datawrite ones just now, also rated 16 speed but they're not. If I burn at 16 speed they fail, if I burn at 8 speed theres no problem.

If you are burning at the fastest speed possible and even if the disk say that the disks are capable of burning at this speed it is not always true. I have a Liteon drive as well and apart from this niggle I have never had a problem.

Drop speed first and see what happens.

skidzy 14:05 06 Apr 2007

Cheers for that post,ive had a few failed burns lately using datawrite 16x,hadnt even thought of lowering the speed,will try over the weekend.
Thanks again.

emmandelo1 14:12 06 Apr 2007

skidzy, have checked DMA settings and they as they should be. Totally-braindead, have tried burning at 4x and 2x all with same result. I will try another avi file and also download skidzy's suggestion and try that. Thanks for all your help. It's certainly narrowed it down.

Fellsider 14:14 06 Apr 2007

Just found this link:-

click here

may be of help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?