query re BB wireless security anyone?

Effie 16:09 13 Nov 2007

I have just changed to using a wireless BB system using Netgear equipment.

I am wondering about security from un -authorised hacking from outside sources.(My system is also password protected according to the service provider).

Can anyone advise me if the computer is off but the modem and router are on whilst I use the Voip facility, is my computer or personal information still vulnerable to attack and or use of my Broadband by others?

Thank you

Migwell 16:29 13 Nov 2007

You will not be vulnerable if you set it up with security. Usually people go for WEP, but a more secure way is to use WPA which is far more secure.

Then you can leave the router on all the time which is the way they are meant to be used, and not be frightened about local hackers trying to steel your band width.

Effie 16:55 13 Nov 2007

Not being familiar with this new piece of equipment , I will find out which type of security I have and go from there. Many thanks for your help. E

Migwell 16:59 13 Nov 2007

You will have both types of security on the router. It is up to you which one you choose, but I will go for WPA every time. The WAP type is thought to be broken now, and can be over ridden at times I am told by people here on PCA

Spark6 20:41 13 Nov 2007

For further info on wireless networking click here and for WPA2 security click here...

I hope the links are OK

Effie 06:26 14 Nov 2007

Thanks Sparks 6.These are very useful links, many thanks E

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?