A Query about simple lan

ulhas 15:31 03 Jun 2010

Hi Guys/Gals

I am trying to setup a lan at my place between 2 pcs. I have got 1 main PC and other secondary pc

which i use sometime for taking backups.

my setup configuration is

secondary pc temporarily connected to main pc by crosswire cat5 cable (2meter in length).
ADSL cat5 cable temporarily connected to main pc (1m in length).

only one of them is connected to main pc at a time as per the need of internet or backup.

i want to get rid of these frequent changing of the cables with my main pc.

one solution is get 3 way Ethernet Splitter Extender/coupler (all 3 females) unit to reconnect the

setup in which i need not disconnect any cat5 cables and my main pc will have connection to both

adsl and second pc simultaneously depending upon which i turn on ( ADSL or second pc).

now experts have to advice me on this scheme

if it will work and won't damage any parts/pc/ports under any circumstances.

i am thinking to connect ADSL CAT wire and secondary pc's cat wire in the 2 adjecent ports of the

splitter. will connect the remaining port directly to my main pc by other cat5 cable (straight

wired) a sort of Y shaped configuration.

Q1. will this scheme work successfully??

Q2 if i can keep on both ADSL and the second pc ON simultaneously and do file transfer to second pc

as well as do surfing without damaging anything??

mgmcc 19:47 03 Jun 2010

You *CANNOT* simply split ethernet connections, you need to use a Network Hub/Switch.

When you refer to an ADSL CAT5 cable, that would suggest that you have a router and the main PC's Network Adapter connects to one of the router's LAN ports. If this is the case, why is the second computer not also connecting to the router? This would provide both computers with simultaneous internet access, as well as networking them for file and/or printer sharing.

If there is a particular reason why the main computer needs to connect to the internet via its ethernet port, and the second computer cannot connect at the same time, then you can *SHARE* the main PC's internet connection and continue to connect to the second PC with the "crossover" cable, *BUT* the main PC will need to have a second network adapter installed to do this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?