Query about connecting 2 PCs to Broadband

Totally-braindead 18:51 23 May 2008

This is not a networking question so I'm putting it here and hopefully someone can help.

I'm looking for the simplest and cheapest way of connecting 2 PCs seperatly to Broadband on the same phone line. One is on Vista and the other is on XP.

Heres what I wondered about. The Vista PC is connected via the ethernet cable to the router and to BB. The second PC on XP I was wondering if it could be connected using the USB connection on the router and whether this could work with both PCs on at the same time?

Or can you get a splitter for the ethernet cable and connect 2 PCs to the same router?

Anyone tried either of these ideas and know if it works?

The second PC is only going to be there for a few weeks so theres no point in spending a great deal on it, just wanted a cheap and cheerful solution - if there is one and if either of these solutions worked is their any risk to the Vista PC or to its connection?

woodchip 19:01 23 May 2008

It will connect if the Router is Wireless and you put a USB WiFi dongle in the computer

woodchip 19:02 23 May 2008

PS you cannot connect by ethernet and usb to a modem/router. it as to be one or the other

csqwared 19:03 23 May 2008

I have a 4 port Netgear DG834 router into which I have two PC's connected via ethernet, the router then going to the filter in the telephone socket and both PC's work fine. I'm not too sure about the USB aspect of a set up, do I take it your router only has the ethernet connection?

brundle 19:04 23 May 2008

Need to know what hardware it is. Some of the basic BT routers (210 for example) allow connection to ethernet and USB simultaneously.

woodchip 19:05 23 May 2008

I think you need a Wireless Modem/Router and at least one USB WiFi Dongle

Totally-braindead 19:10 23 May 2008

Its not got a brand name on it, its the TalkTalk router he got a couple of months ago. It has both USB and ethernet hence my query.

Its not wireless so the dongles out the window, nice thought though.

I think I'll go and see if they have the spec of it on their website.

Am I right in saying that he could definatly get a RJ45 (Ithink thats what its called) splitter and connect both PCs on the same ethernet connection?

If so would they both connect at the same time? I assume the bandwidth would just be split between them is that right?

PalaeoBill 19:10 23 May 2008

Me thinks it is a networking question :-)

Please feel free to ignore me if I'm teaching egg sucking but... I don't think you are describing a router; if it has a usb cable and an ethernet socket then I think its a broadband modem. Routers would normally have more than one (typically four) ethernet sockets for attaching PC's.

Anyhoo, if its a modem you can't connect both USB and Ethernet and you can't use a splitter.

Your options are:
1. Add a router. Pluging the modem into the WAN port of the router via an ethernet cable and then your PC's into the router's LAN ports.

2. Plug the modem into the main PC via ethernet and then connect the 2nd PC to the main PC via a USB bridge cable. click here

3. Plug the modem into the main PC via USB and then connect the main and 2nd PC's together via a crossover ethernet cable.

PalaeoBill 19:12 23 May 2008

Sorry, I was way too slow typing and missed all the responses.

woodchip 19:12 23 May 2008

its not a router, as i have two of them its ownly a modem and can only have one computer connected to it

Totally-braindead 19:19 23 May 2008

Ok understnad, I thought router was just another name for a modem, I now see the difference and I have the specs click here

So its a modem. Am I correct in saying what I asked above. That I could split the RJ45 connection and connect 2 PCs seperatly. I am not interested in networking as its important the 2 PCs stay seperate and I think with a network the main PC has to be switched on as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone