Queensferry

Queensferry 10:26 01 Aug 2008

I am considering buying an XP laptop (I want to be able to use several programmes I have but cannot use on Vista). I also want to be able to view photos and DVDs. I don't understand computer jargon and would appreciate it if someone can tell me if a laptop (Acer extensa 5220-101G08Mi laptop PC) with the following information is suitable. DVD+/-RW (+/-RDL)/DVD-Ram. (The + is on top of the - sign in each case but as I cannot do this here I have inserted a forward slash. Thanks

sinbads 10:40 01 Aug 2008

DVD±RW (+R double layer) / DVD-RAM - integrated

You should have no problems with this laptop an explanation of optical drive types click here

cocteau48 12:19 01 Aug 2008

I did notice in Asda last weekend that they were selling Acer laptops and desktops at under £300.00.
Both were pre-loaded with Vista but when i had a gander at the spec both had only 512Mb of Ram.
From what I have gathered from this forum it does appear to be the recommendation that to run Vista effectively you ought to have at least I Gig of Ram.
No point in sinking the ship for a ha'peth of tar as they say.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?