Qube

JimT 19:12 15 Jan 2004

I've just joined a small firm which is running a network of 6 PCs using Qube as the server. It doesn't seem very efficient but I know nothing about it.

Any comments/info?

Chegs ® 20:47 15 Jan 2004

click here

It look a little "geeky" to me. :-)

Taran 21:03 15 Jan 2004

They are actually superbly efficient for smaller businesses and I've used them a very great deal in the past. In fact, on a performance per pound spent basis they are possibly the best small server I've used, in the right environment of course.

They are basically a small Linux server with a drop dead easy interface that runs in a web browser window. Call up that interface and make any relevant changes. You can set up your network parameters, email server details, file sharing and all kinds of other nice things in the one box.

What are your problems exactly ?

Efficiency is one of the things that the Qube excels at, so a bit of detail may help me pin things down for you.

Regards

Taran

Taran 21:06 15 Jan 2004

I notice that your use of the word "geeky" and my post coincided very nicely.

Guilty as charged...

;o)

Chegs ® 21:17 15 Jan 2004

I was going to use the word LINUX but didn't want to discourage folk. :-)

JimT 21:19 15 Jan 2004

Thanks for the reply, Taran

We're having problems with external e-mail. We're using BT Openworld 500 package. We had this at my last firm but used a "conventional" server.

I'm not responsible for the IT at the present firm but configuring the e-mails system seems to be difficult. We can receive external e-mails but not send externally. Not having come across Qube before I wondered if that might be the problem.

The OS is W 2000 Professional.

Taran 21:32 15 Jan 2004

What is your connection chain ?

Client PCs to hub to Qube to router ?

If so, my first suspicion is the router if it's one of the BT supplied units. I've had to wrestle with one or two of these rouetrs in the past and was largely unimpressed with them.

If you explain your network connection chain a little I may be able to help.

T

JimT 21:43 15 Jan 2004

Client PCs to hub to Qube to router

JimT 14:17 16 Jan 2004

Sorry, Taran - it's Client PCs to hub to router to Qube.

Taran 15:00 16 Jan 2004

Sorry it took me a while to come back to this.

Clients. Who'd have them ?

;o)

Could you perhaps confirm which model/version of the Qube you have, and are you absolutely sure it is client PCs >> hub >> router >> Qube ?

Although it can be set up to work like that the normal method is client PCs >> hub >> Qube >> router.

On a small network the router is [normally] your outside access point for traffic in both directions and also the point from which you begin to network and handle said traffic.

By using the Qube as you state, you effectively turn the router into nothing more than a standard network hub instead of using its built in firewall features to filter outside traffic on the fly.

Althought the Qube does feature a firewall, I still normally set them up in the client >> hub >> Qube >> router order.

In fact, you normally find that when you first set the Qube up like this, you connect it to the router, power it up, input the initial spec of your network on the back panel (IP address, gateway and whatnot) which gives you basic connectivity. When it starts up in full you get to use the web interface for 'proper' tweaking.

Any ideas who set it up and when ?

I'm assuming that all client PCs are standard CAT5 wired and that you don't have any wireless connections floating around in there ?

If you can give as much detail as possible without releasing anything sensitive it will probably help me build up a reasonable picture.

Go to email if you like [click the envelope icon next to my name].

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?