Quark installation problem

Kev B 16:09 10 Mar 2007

Delighted to receive my May PCPro issue this a.m., as it has Quark Xpress 5 on the DVD. Installation has proved impossible though as the serial number provided by both PCPro web page and the one emailed to me are rejected by Quark's product registration page with this error "The entered serial number is not valid. You must re-enter the serial number before you can continue." I've tried several times and think I'm following the procedure correctly.

Has anyone else had a problem?

pj123 16:46 10 Mar 2007

Perhaps you mean PC Advisor, not PCPro?

I never install anything off PC Magazine cover discs.

But if you are having a problem I got my PC Advisor through the letter box this morning. I can send you my DVD if you like?

Alan H E 16:57 10 Mar 2007

I've just had the same problem & have emailed Quark. Will post back if I get a reply - probably won't be til Monday.

Kev B 17:39 10 Mar 2007

Whoops, yes, mixed up my mags. I did mean PCAdvisor.
I don't think it's to do with the DVD. More likely to do with the number that is being supplied by the PCAdvisor site not being recognised by Quark for some reason.

A side issue. What is the situation with free software like this being used by an educational establishment? I'd dearly love to be able to allow my students to use this Industry Standard software but schools just can't afford the full or even the discounted Educational License.

Alan H E 17:41 10 Mar 2007

I have also emailed the Cover Disc Editor so watch this space.

Kev B 17:53 10 Mar 2007

Thanks Alan

Alan H E 09:53 12 Mar 2007

Have received validation code from Quark & am going to try installing.

Alan H E 10:45 12 Mar 2007

Have now installed - try no between the hyphens.

RickyC :-) 11:41 12 Mar 2007

As Alan H E suggests above, readers who've already registered and received the code for Quark should only use the series of digits between the hyphens. For example, if the code you were sent was WG123031-WG51131388234-122774, you should only use the middle part of this (i.e. in the above example this would be: WG51131388234).

I'm not sure why the full code was being sent out over the weekend, this certainly wasn't the case when I tested it prior to the magazine going on sale. Please accept my apologies for the mix-up.

We've now amended this and the correct codes are being sent from the site.

kind regards

Richard
Cover Disc Editor

vinnyT 12:15 12 Mar 2007

"A side issue. What is the situation with free software like this being used by an educational establishment? I'd dearly love to be able to allow my students to use this Industry Standard software but schools just can't afford the full or even the discounted Educational License."

Kev I don't think you would be able to do this, as the cover disks are single issue (unless otherwise stated) licences. Maybe if you contacted someone at Quark (or whoever owns Quark). Of course, you get your students (or school) to buy a copy of pcadvisor for each pc, then each would have their own license.

RickyC :-) 12:22 12 Mar 2007

Sorry - I didn't spot your question when I responded to this thread earlier. As outlined on p159 (in the System requirements and terms & conditions box at the bottom);

"An individual or organisation is only permitted to install up to two licenses of QuarkXPress 5 provided that the equivalent number of magazine cover discs has been purchased."

Hope that helps,

Richard
Cover Disc Editor

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?