quad core upgrade questions

project 90 17:49 22 Sep 2008

hi guys,
i am currently thinking of upgrading to a quad core i am looking at getting the asus p5kc mobo
click here

and was goin to buy the q6600go
click here

my query is will a 550W psu be able to cope with this? i run a 8800gts 512 aswell.

also what other connections will i require from an amd am2 socket if any from my psu to the quad core?

cheers

Kevscar1 18:26 22 Sep 2008

you also need to figure any periperals that run from the computer. My printer has it's own power source but the scanner does not.
Do you have an unpowered USB hub. Anything like this has to be allowed for in yor power supply.

citadel 19:13 22 Sep 2008

it will be ok, even adding the rest of the pc it will have spare power. If you have a cheap inefficient power it would be better to get a quality one with the 80% logo when you can afford it as these have stable rails and save on your electricity bill.

project 90 23:01 22 Sep 2008

not got anything attached to it not got printer or scanner nothing like that only other thing i have is my speakers/headsert but they have their own power suply

well i let you know if i every get it :D

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Game of Thrones GIFs: how Eran Mendel is creating hilarious weekly GIFs based on each episode's…

How to increase storage on iPhone

Nokia 8 : rumeurs & soirée de lancement