Quad core processors

MIKE. 20:26 12 Oct 2007

I am thinking of changing my PC in the near future. What is the general thought on Quad core Processors is it worth going down that path, or is it an expense that's not worth considering yet till the price drops.

woodchip 20:40 12 Oct 2007

They have not yet fully utilised Duo. So cannot see the point. Other than keeping up with the Joneses

MIKE. 20:59 12 Oct 2007

Thanks woodchip

Probabilitydrive 20:59 12 Oct 2007

The price of a quad-core will drop when Intel introduces its next generation CPUs.
I run Intels e6700 Core duo on an XP system and a quad QX6700 on a Vista machine.

Call it witchcraft, but the quad-core is way faster in loading, the system is stable as a rock and running various applications at the same time is a toddle.

Whether this is Vista or the quad I don't know. Its witch craft, like flying....

woodchip 21:06 12 Oct 2007

AMD is the only true Quad Core, Intel is two Duo Cores not one Quad on a chip. And it should be a lot faster than Intel when it comes on the market

woodchip 21:20 12 Oct 2007
  MIKE. 21:23 12 Oct 2007

I think I am more confused and my brain hurts.

al7478 21:34 12 Oct 2007

Aint that the truth! Yet you cant get a pc with a plain single core processor now. and mine is severely de-valued! HARRUMPH!!!

Sorry MIKE, ill be off now.

I am Spartacus 21:52 12 Oct 2007

People talking about a Core 2 Duo or Quad who haven't got one have no idea what they're talking about. You have to experience the performance to appreciate how good they are.

I have a E6600 which easily overclocks to 3.2GHz.

If I was buying again now I would get an E6850, best value for the performance available in my view.

Core 2 Duo is utilised in a few programs at the moment, video editing being one of them.

Don't let the doomsayers put you off, if you need it, want it, then go for it.

interzone55 22:10 12 Oct 2007

In the server market Xeon Quads are now the same prices as Xeon Duos.

In fact I've just bought a dual Quad Xeon 2.33ghz server (8 cores) for £2291 +vat, a month ago I couldn't have bought a server with dual core CPUs for that price.

I expect to see the same happen in the domestic market next year.

al7478 22:17 12 Oct 2007

please dont make assumptions about what people have and have not tried. i have a dual core procesor. im singularly unimpressed. theyre bery little use to the casual (ish) home pc user, imo. they need to be working with the right software, as you point out.

yet nowadays, theyre sold to everyone. now, admittedly, i didnt know about these limitations when i ordered my pc, and was told by the sales person that it would be better than my previous processor. it is not.

and my lack of experience does not negate the various limitations of multi core cpu's, nor the fact that most consumers are unaware of them - which is great for the industry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?