Putting video in PowerPoint

hastelloy 12:28 11 Feb 2008

I'm trying to put a short vodeo clip into a PowerPoint presentation. My video file is in Windows Movie Maker format (also tried VOB). It imports OK but only shows as a black rectangle. I get the choice between start automatically and start on click but either way it won't play.

King6m 12:34 11 Feb 2008

try exporting it from windows movie creator into a wmv file which should then run fine in power point, if not please elaborate on which version of powerpoint you have.

hastelloy 14:23 11 Feb 2008

I had saved it as a wmv file but have just discovered that any files I import into Movie Maker lose their video - it looks as if its there but its just black.

hastelloy 14:33 11 Feb 2008

PS PowerPoint 2003

King6m 17:26 12 Feb 2008

the only thing i can suggest is test the video first in windows media player to check that it plays fine. and check that it has wmv formating not just the ".wmv" extension. if that doesn't work try converting the video to an AVI

hastelloy 19:35 12 Feb 2008

I've tried saving in as many formats as I can using Nero 7 but it still won't play in Windows Movie Maker (I get audio but no video). I can't install any other software until our techies come next Friday and I need this presentation tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon. I'm going to have to have a PowerPoint presentation and separate DVD.
As the problem isn't now what I thought it was when I first posted, I'll tick this thread as resolved and will start another, more appropriately titled one when I have time to deal with the problem.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?