Putting NTSC VHS tapes on PAL DVD or PC (UK)

aylap 01:28 14 Jan 2006

I have several NTSC VHS tapes that I want to put onto my computer. I am from UK so I have not been able to find a way to do it. At firt I bought a hardware which you can connect your VCR to your PC and transfer VHS tapes like that. However although my VCR can play NTSC tapes when it tranfers the colour and quality is very bad.

So then I tried to use my VCR/DVD combi recorder (this also plays NTSC tapes) but when I tried to copy the NTSC tapes onto DVD it said it cannot allow it.

I have been thinking of sending the videos to a company to convert them for me but the thing is I have over 10 tapes and there are many different things of the tapes which I may not want put onto DVD etcm so I would prefer to find a way to do it myself.

Does anyone here have any suggestions please?

Kev.Ifty 02:06 14 Jan 2006

It's getting late 'Pal'

Have a look here :-)

click here;41#681

Cheers Kev.

johndrew 11:19 14 Jan 2006

If you have a capture card in your PC, you can connect a VCR directly, BUT the VCR needs to be capable of playing NTSC tapes. If you use a unit which is PAL, it will play them after a fahion but give poor results as you have found.

It may cost you a further £90 or so but Sony produce a range of VCRs that play both PAL & NTSC but record only in PAL. It could be far cheaper than using a company to convert them.

If you have a friend or neighbour with one of these you`re in. Check the spec for the VCR in the back of the manual to confirm it is one that will play both standards.

A quick aside. If you are tempted to play from one VCR and record on another you may be lucky and get a good transfer. More likely you will either get no result or a large drop in quality. Normally VCRs are like DVD recorders and don`t like recording NTSC.

Yeldarb 16:26 13 Mar 2006

I have the opposite problem - to transfer a UK VHS tape to NTSC to send to my brother in USA
Is this possible ?

johndrew 20:11 13 Mar 2006

You should be able to select to record in NTSC on your PC software and produce a DVD in that standard. If you need to put this onto tape I presume you will need to find a VHS recorder set to NTSC. Whether they are available in the UK I have no idea. You could try a Google.

Yeldarb 11:42 15 Mar 2006

Thank you Johndrew
I asked the wrong question - but your answer answers it ! ! !
It was VHS tape to NTSC DVD I meant ( not NTSC tape)
Can you recommend a good Video capture box ?

p;3 22:50 15 Mar 2006

is this link of any help?

click here

assuming I have got it right!!

p;3 22:53 15 Mar 2006

if you click on the links on the left-hand side of the page you can nagigate around the site, and i can recommend them

p;3 22:54 15 Mar 2006

for nagigate ;;read "navigate"!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017