Putting new life into old '98 desktop

Technotiger 09:31 08 Jan 2008

Hi guys, I am going to try to resurrect an old desktop tower which had Win 98 - belonging to a friend. I have the old 10Gb hard drive at my place and re-formatted it on my desktop (using a usb enclosure) NTFS. I am planning to re-install '98 and then upgrade to ME, I have both original OS CD's. The old machine has been empty, ie no hard drive, and unused for about a year or a little more.
I have a spare new mobo battery if needed. My friends only intend to use it (if I can get it working) for small print jobs, recipes/club letters and the like - their main PC is a new Vista tower, which they have now had for about nine months.

Am I likely to meet any problems, particularly re NTFS - '98/ME?

I am being picked-up by them in half an hour, so any response to this needs to be fairly quick - sorry about the short notice! Any takers ??

Diemmess 09:35 08 Jan 2008

Briefly NTFS not a good idea!
FAT32 for Windows 98.

Technotiger 09:39 08 Jan 2008

Thanks Diemmess, that was what I suspected, I can re-format it FAT32. At the time I formatted it, some time ago, I was not sure what my friends wanted to do with it after they got their new PC.

Diemmess 09:43 08 Jan 2008

I think the idea is sound.
It makes sense to go for an OS better suited to the old hardware. You could go straight to ME if you don't have a copy of Win 98SE (to allow USB connections)

Technotiger 09:49 08 Jan 2008

Great, just what I wanted to know - thanks again.

Re-formatting now.

Technotiger 10:00 08 Jan 2008

I am green-ticking this, but will let you know later how I get on.

Thanks again ... TT

Technotiger 14:48 08 Jan 2008

Old machine successfully brought back to life, with Win ME. Old Cannon scanner set up and Epson (USB) printer all working great. Plus a few useful programs to get them started again - will be going along later to set it up wirelessly with their present setup (Vista desktop with BT HomeHub).

Thanks again .... TT

Diemmess 15:16 08 Jan 2008

But then you obviously have done it before.

- Must have impressed your friends though!

Technotiger 16:47 08 Jan 2008

Yes, they were well impressed (btw my friends and I are all Silver Surfer types) - about five years since I last did anything like that, so I was pleased with the results.

Cheers .......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?