Puta!!.com got a virus and now theres no internet

bluenet 17:55 25 Sep 2003

There's an exe in c:/windows called Puta!!.com it got a virus and at the same time the internet went off. Are they connected?
I had to delete it because it couldnt be repaired or quarentined.
I was wondering were i could get a replacement puta!!.com and if it would help if i did get one.

The computer runs on windows 98 and the internet connection is blueyonder broadband.
Any help is very very much appreciated since telewest don't seem to know what the problem.

MAJ 18:09 25 Sep 2003

Puta.exe is not a Windows 98 file, you don't want or need to get a replacement file. Check that it has been fully removed click here with these removal instructions.

bluenet 18:18 25 Sep 2003

It's been removed but when i turn on my computer it says that it could not be loaded or opened. if i dont need it why do i keep getting this message. and why isnt my internet working?

MAJ 18:21 25 Sep 2003

It says that, probably because it has loaded something in your start up folder, msconfig or registry so that it tries to start everytime you bootup. The Internet connection problem may or may not be connected, but you need to make sure that all remnants of that virus are removed first.

bluenet 18:32 25 Sep 2003

well ive run a norton scan. it doesnt say its still there. is that enough

MAJ 18:34 25 Sep 2003

Go through the removal instructions at that Symantec site I posted earlier and check that none of the files mentioned are still on your computer.

bluenet 18:43 25 Sep 2003

Done that.

alan 2273 18:53 25 Sep 2003

Type MSconfig in the run box click on start up tab and see if their is an entry for PUTA in their, if their is untick the box click OK then reboot your computer.

bluenet 18:58 25 Sep 2003

Its restarting now. What will that do then? will it stop the error message?

bluenet 19:17 25 Sep 2003

Well everything seems to be fine again. Internets working, virus gone (although i think i might check again just to be sure),and there's no error message.

Thanks very much for all the help MAJ and alan 2273

MAJ 20:11 25 Sep 2003

That's good news, bluenet, hope it keeps going well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?