purplkepenny check out my new design

SumKindaMonster 19:36 18 Apr 2004

Here ya go purple penny you ahve commented on my last two designs i hope you liek this one i put loads of effor into it

click here

Taran 19:57 18 Apr 2004

Well, I'm not Penny by any stretch of the imagination, but...

I'm colourblind and I found the site very, very difficult to cope with. The main content body background with those tiny little dots of a similar colour to the body text makes things hard to read for people like me, and there are a surprising percentage of the population who are coloublind in one form or another.

The font sizes too, are very small. Have you tried the site on different screen resolutions ? At 800x600 all is well, but at 1024x768 [typical 17 inch CRT or 15 inch TFT monitor resolution] and above, I was squinting to read your links. I tried it on a 19 and 21 inch screen and nearly went cross-eyed.

I'm sure I've seen this design or certainly the layout before, or at least somethng very similar.

You've obviously worked hard at this and it does look slick. I still have this soft spot [for want of a better description] for your first site that you posted the link to in here. It really had a certain something - very atmospheric and moody, which lent a certain drama to the site.

slowhand_1000 20:33 18 Apr 2004

Have to agree with Taran, the font on the links is very small and I'm not to keen on the red on red for the main body.

Talking of links. When I tried the Gallery link none of the pictures opened. There was an 'Error on page' fault displayed.

Line: 334

Char: 1

Error: Object expected

Also there's no link to get back to your site. Unless it's hidden somewhere.

As has been said, you obviously have put some time and effort into it and it does look very slick.

PurplePenny 22:00 18 Apr 2004

It's absolutely gorgeous. I think that it's far more in keeping with (what I think is) the band's style.

On the other hand ... you know I loved the first one. It really did have something special about it.

The colour scheme didn't bother me but Kev had some difficulty reading the red too - like so many men he's slightly colour blind. I agree with the others about the font - I'm using Opera so I was able to zoom to 120% and that made it much easier to read.

But overall it looks great.

PP

PS - I've just realised that you coloured the scrollbar too. I didn't know that that worked in Opera.

james55 23:15 18 Apr 2004

I have to agree with Taran, I am too a tad colour-blind (Red Green) and had a bit of trouble trying to view your site, however I can see you have put a lot of work into it.

Well done.

SumKindaMonster 23:33 18 Apr 2004

does anybody have any suggestions for the font colour etc
?

i shall make the nav images have a larger font and i view it in 1024x768 ona 17" crt with no problems but i guess thats just em thanks for the feedback

PurplePenny 23:49 18 Apr 2004

You still have young eyes ......

I don't have any suggestions for the font colour. It seems that you *will* have to change it but it does look gorgeous the way it is :-(

Here's a site that is a great help for choosing colours:

click here

You select a colour then select other colours and it shows you what they look like together as background and font.

FE posted a link to a site which simulates how your site will appear to colour-blind viewers. I know that I bookmarked it (I've used it), I just can't find it.

PP

PurplePenny 23:53 18 Apr 2004
  Forum Editor 00:06 19 Apr 2004

and like Taran I seem to have seen something very similar before.

The red font is definitely a problem - as far as the nav links are concerned it's because the font size is too small.

The body text is OK for size. I can read it in red but I think it needs to be recoloured to suit a large number of male viewers who will have a problem with it. Have you tried plain old black?

slowhand_1000 00:47 19 Apr 2004

What about white for the text.

tomleady 09:30 19 Apr 2004

the graphic at the top is wicked.

but i am struggling to read the links on the left and the main text. maybee change that to white.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone