Purchase of Anti Virus.

Ex plorer 13:32 01 Jun 2014
Answered

Hi how many of you pay for your anti Virus to give higher protection of your PC / Laptop.

I am considering Avast as I do use my Laptop for just about all my needs in buying.

I dont seem to have had many problems in the past but I would consider it money well spent these days, of course I have to budget myself for every thing so I may not be able to afford the best out there.

Interesting to here other comments.

muddypaws 13:49 01 Jun 2014

If you happen to have a Barclays account you should be able to get Kaspersky as a freeby from Barclays site.

I,ve had it for about 4 years.

bumpkin 13:52 01 Jun 2014

Why not try Avast free version for starters rather than spend out on something you may not need.

john bunyan 13:54 01 Jun 2014

When I had a paid for suite ( Bullguard) I had a virus that caused mayhem. I now use the free version of Avira (with Malawarebytes, Superantispyware and Spywareblaster as malware scanners) and have had no problem in over 2 years. I m sure Avast is equally good. I think paid for suites are probably advisable for novices who may not update their programmes nor do sufficient back ups or scanning.

Ex plorer 14:32 01 Jun 2014

Trying the free version of Avast for a for the past 4 months and in my second week of the full program for a fortnight.

I used to run MS Security, HSBC have it on there site as a download.

But according to write ups its not as good as Avast. HSBC agree its not as good as it was but gives some kind of protection for on-line banking. McAfee is also free for a year after that you must pay for the update.

I also use super anti spy-ware as a scanner.

And I do keep my PC fully updated.

Maybe I am getting paranoid and worry more than I used to do.

Ex plorer 14:33 01 Jun 2014

Should have said the free full version is for a fortnight only.

bumpkin 15:22 01 Jun 2014

Whatever your choice be sure to do a regular backup preferably to an external drive.

Jollyjohn 19:05 01 Jun 2014

Anti virus? I just use Linux :)

Ex plorer 08:20 02 Jun 2014

Thanks all for advice, I will buy the latest Avast internet security when my trial runs out as its at a reasonable Price for the up-grade.

jock1e I used the free malwarebytes for years and have read up on the latest version, its within my budget for the two, and seems adequate for my needs.

xania 13:12 02 Jun 2014

I have a desktop and 2 laptops in my house. Norton Internet Security for £20 each year, including Password Vault.

Then freebies are OK-ish, but sometimes there is a price to pay for performance, speed of updates and overall support.

xania 13:12 02 Jun 2014

I have a desktop and 2 laptops in my house. Norton Internet Security for £20 each year, including Password Vault.

Then freebies are OK-ish, but sometimes there is a price to pay for performance, speed of updates and overall support.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?