PUP optional - is this dangerous?

laptopdunce 09:48 04 Feb 2014
Answered

I am on my UK laptop and I have just run a antimalwarebytes scan and it came up with 2 "objects" they are called "Pup-optional" and are in the C drive users, I have had this before when running the antimalwarebytes scan, so have deleted them, but are these things dangerous, it shows a kind of "beetle" icon for them in the objects found table, I wonder where they come from, I use mainly google chrome browser as I.E. is now so slow and unrelliable on this XP computer, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

BRYNIT 10:34 04 Feb 2014

A little info copied from another web page. I was unable to supply link as this site thinks it's spam.

PUP.Optional.MyWordTool.A is a specific detection used by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to indicate and detect a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP). A Potentially Unwanted Program is a program that contains adware, installs toolbars or has other unclear objectives. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detects PUP.Optional.MyWordTool.A you do not immediately have to worry, because it is not a virus or other malware. But only a unwanted program classified as PUP or adware because it has a bad reputation or behavior. And in most cases the program is installed whitout your knowledge, therefore detects Malwarebytes Anti-Malware this application as PUP.Optional.MyWordTool.A This items are not always checked by default for removing, but we strongly recommend to remove PUP.Optional.MyWordTool.A from your computer.

laptopdunce 12:39 04 Feb 2014

how do I set the antimalwarebytes programme to delete PUPS without informing me? is this only possible on the paid version? I have the free version. I guess if they do stop doing the free version there is bound to be someone else who comes out with a free programme like antimalwarebytes?? LAPTOPDUNCE

laptopdunce 12:42 04 Feb 2014

how do I set the antimalwarebytes programme to delete PUPS without informing me? is this only possible on the paid version? I have the free version. I guess if they do stop doing the free version there is bound to be someone else who comes out with a free programme like antimalwarebytes?? LAPTOPDUNCE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:30 04 Feb 2014
Answer

how do I set the antimalwarebytes programme to delete PUPS without informing me?

You do have to scan it doesn't run in the background -

to auto remove after a scan -

Settings tab - Action boxes (3 at bottom for PUPs PUMs P2P - set to "Show in results and check for removal"

laptopdunce 09:46 05 Feb 2014

OK, thnaks done that, will do it on my other computers also when I get around to them, thanks, LAPTOPDUNCE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?