Publisher 2002 font problem

Dragonfly2 10:19 08 Sep 2008

My problem is with Microsoft Publisher 2002 SP3. We get regular Microsoft updates, which covers Publisher. I have recently discovered that the font ARIAL BLACK appears in the font listing drop down menu only as Italic in Publisher, and I can't get it out of Italic when I type Publisher documents. Word and Excel are OK, the font appears and behaves normally.

If I cut and paste Arial Black text from Publisher into Word, it appears as normal Arial Black text. If I cut and paste "un-italic" Arial Black text from Word into Publisher, it comes out as Italic and I can't change it.

I've had a good look round the Microsoft website, and can't find out where to go for (free) help. The only help available costs £46 + VAT, which I think is unacceptable, especially as the problem seems to have originated from Microsoft in the first place with their updates.

We use Windows XP Home, with SP3.

Can anyone advise me either how to get my font back to normal, or at least how to get free advice from Microsoft?

RFB 12:55 08 Sep 2008

From the Web.....
"it has been my experience that If they show up as available in other programs, but just not Publisher, the
fonts may be corrupt or poorly designed. Publisher is not as fault-tolerant of fonts as other programs.
You might try a font management program to see what the problem may be.

click here

If you do a browser search on "font management program" you will come up with lots of options."

Dragonfly2 09:16 09 Sep 2008

Thanks for the reply RFB. I've never heard of Font Management Programs, although as you say there seem to be a lot of them around. But I've never had problems with Publisher before, I've been using it for many years. Also Arial Black isn't exactly a strange new font.

I'm now wondering if it could be something to do with SP3, which we downloaded a month or two ago.

Dragonfly2 10:18 12 Sep 2008

ARIAL BLACK still comes out as Italic in Publisher - what's going on? Has anyone out there got the same problem as me, as I've still not solved it - ?? I've tried Publisher Help Detect/Repair, and that didn't work.

In the drop-down font list, the words ARIAL BLACK appear in italic, and are still in Italic when using the font, both with normal text and clip art. As I've already set out, the problem is only in Publisher.

Could it be anything to do with SP3?

All ideas, comments and suggestions will be gratefully received.

Dragonfly2 10:18 12 Sep 2008

Sorry, I should have said WORD ART, not CLIP ART

Dragonfly2 19:17 12 Sep 2008

Thanks Marg7 - it looks as if you've found the answer for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?