PTVCD.VXD

aerialman 21:03 12 Oct 2009

I have a win98SE computer which now refuses to boot up.
Having followed the step by step boot up I saw that the computer stopped loading when it came to load PTVCD.VXD.

Another site suggested that this was due to incorrect uninstall of a modem so I checked with modems in safe mode control panel and clicked uninstall of the modem (I no longer need the dial up modem). This was instantaneous and since then the computer boots step by step up to mouse.VXD or something like that and does not show PTVCD.VXD any more!

Any ideas how I can restore whatever I need to get the computer to boot up properly again?
Thanks in advance.

sharpamat 15:12 13 Oct 2009

This sounds like corrupted system files My first thought would be to reinstall windows after physically removing the Modem

if this is not an option or does not solve your problem

The windows start up disc was ideal for both repairing and diagnosis. When booted with the floppy in the drive select the option with CD support and at the A prompt type help and enter and you should find all you need

aerialman 20:37 13 Oct 2009

Thanks Sharpaman, I was beginning to consider that. I do somewhere have the original rescue disks from the original win98 setup somewhere and I guess that if I choose not to install the modem files, and remove the modem, then hopefully all will be well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?