PSUs The box says I need a 450w, but - -

Ancient Learner 20:31 30 Apr 2007

Trying to update my PC.
A shiny new Graphics board, but until it arrived, I never thought about the PSU.

As I say the box says I need a 450 watt. The card has 2 connections to the power it seems!
My PC has a 360watt PSU.
Can anyone say what will happen if I don't spend £40+ on another PSU, and try it out with the present PSU.

skidzy 20:47 30 Apr 2007

Blown Mobo/blown graphics card and possibly the psu all are a possibility.PSU from Ebuyer click here

Ancient Learner 21:29 30 Apr 2007

Thanks.
I've been looking at reviews, and it seems that as always you get what you pay for.
However, I am a bit woried that I could end up with a PSU that is not suitable,

My new Graphics card is a Saphire X1950 Pro AGP.
I have 2GB of Memory.
Also 2 SATA hard drives and 2 CD/ DVD drives.
Looking at the specs is really clear to me.
I am fancying the Coolermaster IGreen 500W PSU - 85% Efficiency ATX12V v2.2 120mm Fan, but would it be OK for my use.

Any comments would be gratefully received

Technotiger 21:31 30 Apr 2007

Hi, I would suggest nothing less than 500W PSU.

Cheers.

skidzy 21:31 30 Apr 2007

Definately go for a branded and heavy psu,dont go cheap as per my post earlier.I didnt realise you had so much running.

Ancient Learner 21:37 30 Apr 2007

Thank you, what I thought.
I just wish I had not left out 'not'.
What I should have said was 'Looking at the specs it is not really clear to me.'
What do you think?

skidzy 21:43 30 Apr 2007

Just an idea click here but really need to know your budget.

Ancient Learner 21:56 30 Apr 2007

Thanks. A bit pricey perhaps! But it does seem to have all the right connections, which is not at all clear on the 500w one.
There is this one click here, not a 'Green job', but it seems to have the same connectors as the Ebuyer special, and at a much lower price, however probably noisy.

woodchip 21:56 30 Apr 2007

"""""Thanks.
I've been looking at reviews, and it seems that as always you get what you pay for.
However, I am a bit woried that I could end up with a PSU that is not suitable""""" it will cost far more if it blows up

skidzy 22:04 30 Apr 2007

I think your link will do the job fine,however for the sake of £30 extra...i know what i would go for !

Ancient Learner 22:14 30 Apr 2007

Thank you very much.
I think that you may well be correct. You can't take it with you, can you!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?