PSU replacement

uskfisherman 20:00 03 May 2004

I have an old desk top pentium 2 PC and have knackered the PSU (I think). It connects to the motherboard and has I understand an electronic switch. There is only one plug into the motherboard. The psu has a rating of 147 which appears to be not easy to obtain. Will a more powerful one work and if so up to what strength can I go. There are lots on ebay.

woodchip 20:14 03 May 2004

Yes a 147Watt is way out in this day and age. It must be a very low speck PC The one plug to MOBO means its a ATX SPU You will also have plugs running from PSU to Drives If you are going to keep it go to a computer fair and you should get a 300Watt for £10

LastChip 20:17 03 May 2004

The plug is crucial to which power supply you need.

You need to be sure it is a single power connector to the motherboard (disconnect it and see). This means it is an ATX power supply, and can be readily obtained. This power supply is also recognized by a power switch that is electronic. That is, it controls a 5v line to switch the motherboard on and off. Any rating as large as the existing, or larger can be fitted.

If it turns out to be a split plug, that is, one connector socket, but two plugs going into the connector end to end, it is an AT power supply and these are becoming far more difficult to obtain. This power supply has a mechanical switch, just like a smaller version of the switch on your mains socket, but is a push switch rather than an up/down type.

uskfisherman 22:12 03 May 2004

Thank you both woodchip and last chip. The inf given is very helpful indeed and I think I will be able to get a 300 PSU. There is only one plug to the motherboard so that it is ATX. This an old PC which I run as second via a belkin box. I try out progs etc on this before installing on my good PC. Again very may thanks. Regards.

ThePharcyde007 22:54 03 May 2004

reading up ^^^^^ never remember 147Watt what kinda year were they...remembering back what would my old Pentium 60Mhz PC have used? which I sold around 4/5 years ago!:@ im now on a 300Watt running a P4 3.4/800 and have seen 500Watt for sale

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?