PSU Problem ??

bgrave 21:46 15 Mar 2009

This is a sequel to my last post “Out Of a Blue Skye” (sorry about the e) 05-03-09 : 2-51 PM. That situation lasted about a week. Where I am now is :- When I turn the PC on after it has been off for some time the power & HD lights come on and it will boot to desk top as normal and everything seems to work, after about five to ten minutes some times longer the mouse pointer freezes. My only option is to shut down by pressing and holding the start button in, and this works ok.

Now the weird bit; if I now press the start button the fans all start, no power or HD light and nothing else happens, this by the way is the same scenario if Re-Start is used. The diagnostic LEDs at the back seem to indicate that the CPU may be damaged.

If I un plug the PC and wait say 10-20 minutes re plug and press start, if it is successful the power light comes on and booting starts usually with the same above result.

To me this seems to be a PSU problem or it might be more than one problem I am at a loss; I would certainly appreciate some guidance on this one.
Thanks in advance.

cheap 22:13 15 Mar 2009

Have you cleaned out any dust in your heatsink and fan on the cpu. It could be getting to warm.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:35 15 Mar 2009

Overheating or faulty memory, if CPU was faulty it would never start at all.

woodchip 23:42 15 Mar 2009

Also try booting to BIOS without the Hard Drive connected, try keep changing pages in BIOS and see if it stops working

bgrave 17:36 17 Mar 2009

Thanks all, but it seems to me and others here that it might be a MB problem and I have not time to sort that out I am going to buy a new PC and sort out the other indue course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?