PSU (Power Supply Unit)

Terry Brown 08:59 13 Nov 2006

I need to purchase a new PSU as after adding a TV In card & DVD RW and a USB Scanner/Printer it does not have enough power to run the system.

There are 2 types of PSU available 'True Power' and 'Switching Power'. What is the difference, and which is best.
Thank you
Terry

Gongoozler 09:38 13 Nov 2006

As far as I know, all PC PSU's use switch mode power supplies. This means that the mains input is rectified to produce a DC voltage which is then chopped up at high speed so that the transformer can be much smaller than if it was driven directly from 50 of 60 Hz. The switching is also controlled to give a constant output voltage regardless of variations in the input voltage. This generally only accurately controls one output voltage and the other outputs are therefore subject to greater variations.

Antec make what they call the TruePower series where they more accurately control all the outputs with individual regulators for greater accuracy. click here

Terry Brown 09:58 13 Nov 2006

Thanks Gongoozler, It seems that true power PSU's are the better option. That is what I will look for.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?