psu overload?

no way 18:59 15 Jan 2007

can anyone help with a little advice? i have just bought a new hard drive (250gb)i now know i should have gone with another sata drive ,,, but i went for a eide drive. unluckily my board has only 1 eide channel (should have checked) so i have had to remove the dvd rom (still got the writer) both dvd rw and new drive are set as cable select , when i boot up it starts normallyand after the win xp screen it goes into a grey mess on the screen like the graphics has died (ati x800), power off remove power supply to the new h/disk all boots up normally power off same happens again i have now tried this 4/5 times same thing.... could it be my psu has not got enuf kick in it?

howard64 17:32 18 Jan 2007

it could be as you say but it could also be the cable select setting. Try setting the hard drive to master at the end of the ribbon cable and dvd to slave in the middle. Go into the bios and make sure the drives have been recognised before you start windows.

no way 18:43 18 Jan 2007

problem sorted turned out to be a fault on the graphics card ( put the old one in and problem has gone)....now wheres that receipt ....
thanks anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?