PSU overheating

funf 11:26 11 Jan 2007

PSU overheats whilst playing games. What is a good PSU without overspending

Technotiger 11:30 11 Jan 2007

Hi, depends rather on what other hardware your pc has. As a general rule 450w or 500w will cover most contingencies.

- or -

maybe your pc just needs a good clean-up inside, especially build-up of dust on and around fans etc.

great company, great psu! almost silent, modular, very stable click here

Technotiger 12:05 11 Jan 2007

If you do go for a new PSU, make sure you check dimensions of your present PSU, so that any new one fits your pc.

Blitzer 12:47 11 Jan 2007

>PSU overheats whilst playing games. What is a good PSU without overspending

I would say that its not a good idea to cut corners when it come to the cost of a PSU. Personally I tend to think of the expense of a PSU as investment as opposed to a necessary item required to run a PC. While the wattage the PSU provides is very important, the quality of the PSU should come a very close second. I'd certainly sacrific the wattage in favour of a better quality PSU if necessary/possible.

funf 14:48 11 Jan 2007

Thanks everyone.There is a lot more to PSU`s than I thought.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:19 11 Jan 2007

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?