PSU For Old Gateway System

The Paul 14:52 30 Aug 2005

I have a 5 year old Gateway machine. The PSU has just packed in and I'm trying to source a new one.

The old unit was a 200W machine made by ASTEC. Do I need to source a new 200W PSU or will one of the modern units work fine.

xania 16:37 30 Aug 2005

Can't remember whether this would be the newer type (ATX) mobo or the older type (AT). If the power has a single block which connects to the motherboard, then you should have no problems picking up a replacement; however, if it has two plugs which fit side by side, you will have to tell your supplier that you need a AT form power supply.

keith-236785 19:49 30 Aug 2005

there are currently two different fittings for modern systems, 20 pin ATX and 24 pin ATX. as already said, you need to check your old power supply to motherboard plug, if it is two (i think they were 8 pin blocks) blocks that fit side to side (black wires together in the middle) then it is the older AT power supply which might be a problem to get hold of now.

if you struggle, try the classified ads section of Micro Mart. either online, click here or by buying the mag (available each thursday £1.90).

as you say it is a gateway machine you will also have to specify this to a dealer to make sure you get one that fits. it is of no importance if the supply is a larger wattage supply, just dont go for a smaller one.

best of luck

Stuartli 20:26 30 Aug 2005

It's most likely to be an ATX PSU in view of its age - I still use a case bought in 1999 which, for the princely sum of £26, came with a quality Enermax PSU.

This recently proved to be not powerful enough when I bought a GeForceFX graphics card, so I swapped it for a Pentium4 ready 500w PSU which has the normal motherboard power connection, plus the additional adapter alongside for when it is required in the future.

Ironically, although the Enermax is still in perfect working order I discovered that rather than the 240w unit I thought it was, it's just 100w...:-)

Quality rather than quantity proved to be to the forefront in this case as my system is not short of add-ons.

Stuartli 20:28 30 Aug 2005

I bought a 500w unit on e-Bay on a Buy It Now! basis for £21 including delivery.

Stuartli 20:30 30 Aug 2005

Release 2.01 of the ATX specification came in 1997:

click here

amonra 20:52 30 Aug 2005

I have a 200w AT power unit and a 300w ATX unit, both gathering dust. If you pay the postage you are more than welcome to either. Send me an EM via the yellow envelope.

amonra 20:54 30 Aug 2005

I have a 200w AT power unit and a 300w ATX unit, both gathering dust. If you pay the postage you are more than welcome to either. Send me an EM via the yellow envelope.

amonra 20:54 30 Aug 2005

The Paul 20:57 30 Aug 2005

great responses - thanks to one and all.

Just realised that I never put the model type into the post. It is indeed an ATX - its ATX202-3515. Its a single block 20 pin so things look like I should be okay. As I live in France things are a wee bit difficult with regards to ordering from French sites.

I'll follow up on all of the above and see where I get.

Many thanks
Paul

amonra 20:57 30 Aug 2005

OOPS, sorry for the repeats.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?