PSU Help

gabber82 09:03 06 Nov 2006

I'm currently in the middle of a pc build and i don't know what power of PSU i need.

I've got:
Pentium D 945
asus pvp-5m (i think) mother board
1gb stick of corsair value select memory
7600gt 256mb video card (AGP)
maxtor 120gb HDD
dvd drive

a semi decent sound card will possibley be added at a later date.

i've tried to do some research but no success

Technotiger 09:14 06 Nov 2006

Hi.... Minimum 500w

Cheers

NewestRoyWidd1 09:26 06 Nov 2006

Take a look at this gabber2 click here I've just bought and installed one of their 400watt units-adequate for my system needs-and couldn't be happier with it.
The dual fans mean things stay a lot cooler than they did previously.
NRW1

thms 10:42 06 Nov 2006

psu calculator

click here

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:15 06 Nov 2006

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

gabber82 14:42 06 Nov 2006

Thanks for the help so far, got a fair idea of what's in order.

Just wondering what the problems would be if the PSU wasn't powerful enough. Could it damage the hardware and what are the symptoms?

skeletal 15:22 06 Nov 2006

Simple answer: instability. As the computer is asked to perform harder, the output voltage from a poorly specified PSU will tend to sag, or possibly glitch downwards. During this time other computer parts (e.g. memory) will temporarily stop working. This will lead to a crash. Not too helpful at the best of times, but could give major problems during software installation or file saving to the hard drive.

It’s hard to say if such problems will lead to the failure of components; it certainly won’t do them any good and could shorten their life (e.g. continually turning a hard drive on and off would mean more mechanical wear). Unless you were really unlucky, you would probably get away with it a few times, but having a computer in this state as normal wouldn’t be too clever!

Not sure what the previously posted links will say, but make sure you look at the continuous rating of PSUs rather than peak. A 400W peak PSU will be inferior to a 400W continuous PSU.

Skeletal

ed-0 15:50 06 Nov 2006

If you intend to go for an Asus P5 series motherboard. Make sure you pick a PSU with a 24 pin power connector.

woodchip 17:04 06 Nov 2006

As above 500watt should work but bigger is better

citadel 19:39 06 Nov 2006

the psu is an important part of the pc and it is best to get a quality unit. seasonic, antec are good. 450 to 500 from one of these makers will easily cope with your system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?