PSU fan has stopped. Need help finding a replacement.

HarrisonCole 18:03 28 May 2014

Hey guys, recently my PSU fan stopped working. I noticed it yesterday while playing a high load game and I could smell burning; I immediately turned my PC off. After about an hour or so I noticed it had cooled down and so I turned it on again.

My PC seems to be fine while browsing, on Maya and on Photoshop. I need my PC urgently due to work needing to be handed in. The earliest I can get a new PSU will be sometime next week due to shipping; though the problem is I don't know what PSU to get.

Here are my PC specs:

GTX 680 FX 8350 820WATT PSU (Unknown brand) 8 GB 1833 HMZ ram MSI Mobo (Unknown model)

I know I probably need around a 600WATT PSU; but I don't know which one to get. I live in England, so it would be best to give me UK links.

Do you guys think it would be ok running my PC things like Maya and Photoshop and a bit of general browsing for about a week?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:15 28 May 2014

If the PSu goes bang it could take a lot of other things with it such as

motherboard

hard drives

optical drives

powered graphics cards etc.

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.

2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.

3. The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.

Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.

MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.

Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply. Why weight matters click here Power supply calculator click here Correct connections Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU click here and compaq PSU problems guide click here

2. 3. http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYPSU.htm

HP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?