PSU Failed?

tenbapps 16:02 07 Apr 2007

A couple of days ago my pc stopped turning on. It didn't do anything at all, it's completely dead.

I think it might be the PSU. I have tried a different power cable and that didn't work. The switch on the back of the PC, on the PSU itself is in the on position. I tried a different wall socket. Still nothing.

I have now taken the case apart, plugged the PSU in and tried to turn on the PC. Still nothing, but I do have a small yellow LED light up on the mother board above where the memory is plugged in.

Is this a clue as to what has happened?

11 months ago I upgraded the graphics card (to a ASUS Nvidia 6800)bought 2X1gb crucial memory sticks and upgraded the PSU to a 480 watt unit. The mother board is a Gigabyte 8184e with a P4 dual core 3.0 processer.

Does it sound like a PSU failure or not? I can still get it replaced under warranty. Any help appreciated!

Technotiger 16:05 07 Apr 2007

Hi, Yes, certainly sounds like a dead PSU.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:10 07 Apr 2007

Sounds live a dead PSU.

You can get PSU testers but the easiest way is to plug in another and try to boot.

tenbapps 16:16 07 Apr 2007

I don't have another PSU to swap it with.

I think I should take it out and get it changed under the warranty, or if it isn't faulty, they'll send it back and at least I'll know then!

I think that is my cheapest option, rather than give it to a shop to diagnose, everyone I've spoken to says it sounds like a PSU failure, so yeah, thanks for your replies, I shall get on with that now!

Kate B 16:25 07 Apr 2007

If your PC is under warranty, ring the manufacturer.

ICF 17:08 07 Apr 2007

I had this happen to my first computer from Simply computers now Misco.I ring them and they sent me a new power supply.

tenbapps 17:12 07 Apr 2007

PC is a self build so no manufacturer to call about that.

PSU from ebuyer. Just finished their online returns procedure, and gotta say, very impressed. Didn't have to speak to anyone, got all the labels printed off and they've got a courier coming on Monday to pick up the old one.

Not sure when I'll get the new one back though!

skidzy 17:28 07 Apr 2007

Just for future reference,if you build or maintain computers,this psu tester is a handy piece of kit to have. click here

click here

£9-40 from CCL

skidzy 18:16 07 Apr 2007

Thats a good price,i got mine about 6 months ago and still paid £12 from maplin...strange how Maplin have put there price up by so much.Good link thankyou.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?