PSU died?

Thurrafork 09:25 27 Dec 2006

Hello all, and Merry Christmas to ye!
Right, I went to my parents for Christmas, I completely turned off and unplugged my PC before I left. I get back to my house last night, turn it on and nothing happens. I open the case and try again to see if there's any sign of life at all, and see that not even the little internal LEDs are on. Now, I reckon my PSU has died, but I'm desperately wanting to hear some second opinions. What do you reckon folks?

Gongoozler 09:44 27 Dec 2006

Sounds like a PSU fault to me. Other possibilities are mains cable and its connectors, power switch on the PSU (if you have one), or even no power to the wall socket.
If the PSU has failed, it's quite easy to replace and not necessarily expensive.

Diemmess 09:49 27 Dec 2006

Probably.....
There are simple things you can check which have been suggested on similar threads in the past.

1) Has the circuit tripped out at the consumer unit?

2) Is the mains socket itself live?

3) is the fuse in the plug OK

4) Check you haven't switched off at the back of your computer. Not every computer has a switch there, but some do and it is easy to do when you are being "thorough."

Thurrafork 09:57 27 Dec 2006

Thanks for getting back so quick Gongoozler.
I tried several wall sockets, and used several power cables - the same 'nothing' each time. If by the PSU switch you mean the one at the back of the tower, well I'm not sure how to test that in isolation as it seems to be part of the PSU itself. I suppose there are other tests I could do, but I think I'm going to assume it is the PSU and buy a new one on way home from work tonight.
Right, you say its quite easy, but I've never replaced a PSU before. I looked up one of appropriate wattage which my local PC world has in stock. But is the wattage the only consideration? Also it looks like it didn't come with cables. What cables do I need to get? How many things are to be wired directly to the psu (rather than via the mobo)? In case its relevant I have a AMD x2 4400, Abit KL8 Ultra mobo, Asus Nvidia 7800 GTX, Audigy 4, 2x 250GB SATA HD's raid striped, 2GB RAM, DVD drive, DVD RW drive, floppy drive.

Gongoozler 10:03 27 Dec 2006

Hi Thurrafork. Wattage isn't really the only consideration, but as long as you get one with a higher wattage than the one in your computer you are fairly safe. The PSU will have two or more cable bundles attached with connectors for the motherboard and drives. If the connector fits, it's the right one.

thms 10:26 27 Dec 2006

How to fit psu
click here
Also check that the one you buy has sata cables.
Though most new ones have them as standard,

Thurrafork 11:31 27 Dec 2006

Thanks for your replies folks, I plan to pick up a JEANTECH - 600W *ARCTIC* ATX POWER SUPPLY UNIT from pc world tonight. (the wattage of my old psu was 600w so this should be fine). One other thing I've heard about is checking the correct power on the rails and such, is that something I need to worry about, or is that for more advanced shenanigans, and the default settings will be fine for me in a kindof 'plug and play' type way?

Gongoozler 12:06 27 Dec 2006

If you mean checking the rail voltages, there's not much you can do about them if they're wrong, and as your PSU isn't behaving normally even when the computer is switched off, I don't think that is the problem.
If you mean checking the power available on each rail, that would involve comparing the available power as printed on the side of the new PSU with that on the old one. PSU's are generally designed for a balanced power distribution, so that is rarely a problem.
There is no user control over what the PSU generates - you just have to rely on the manufacturer getting it right.
One other point is that the PSU will not work until it has the motherboard connected, so you can't test it until it's fitted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires